So do we finally get free WiFi at AT&T hotspots with 3G iPhone?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I ask this because I would like to be able to use WiFi versus 3G when possible "if" 3G really does drain battery life faster. Also, I now have a $600 WiPod sitting around and would love to give it to my niece so she can be one of the "cool kids".:p

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
ive always wondered how we acess the ATT hotspots but could never figure it out.

EDIT:
i just noticed that for current wireless users you can use your ATT account login (10 digit phone number and password)

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
ive always wondered how we acess the ATT hotspots but could never figure it out.

EDIT:
i just noticed that for current wireless users you can use your ATT account login (10 digit phone number and password)

This was supposedly the case but every time I have been at an ATT hotspot of asks for a login name and password. So far no dice.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Err. sorry i didn't fully read your post.

But my question seems to have been answered as MacRumors.com is reporting ATT updated it's website to officially anounce WiFi is free to ATT wireless subscribers now.
Hoot for that even though 3G is fast enough for me on my phone. But now I can use my MacBook to login, hopefully.

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
This was supposedly the case but every time I have been at an ATT hotspot of asks for a login name and password. So far no dice.

Every time I go by a AT&T hotspot, I always click on it and never had to enter anything. I'm talking about the AT&T store. I do have a question, if you go onto someone else's wi-fi area, and it's not PW protected, can we still use it or we get charged for it?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Every time I go by a AT&T hotspot, I always click on it and never had to enter anything. I'm talking about the AT&T store. I do have a question, if you go onto someone else's wi-fi area, and it's not PW protected, can we still use it or we get charged for it?
its free. the only way u get charged for WiFi is if u need to sign up and make an account to access it. so any non-password protected WiFi is free.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I wouldn't get my pants in a wad. Although one web page says it's free for iPhone customers, the following link, which describes how to access, is consistent with my ongoing experience at Starbucks - you still need to buy a plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet/accessing-wifi.jsp

that link looks more like a generic "how to" page. It doesn't mention anything about iPhone owners or for that matter, AT&T wireless subscribers in general.

MoFunz

Jun 27, 2008
that link looks more like a generic "how to" page. It doesn't mention anything about iPhone owners or for that matter, AT&T wireless subscribers in general.
If you click the >internet< link on the left, it claims free connections for iPhone customers.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
If you click the >internet< link on the left, it claims free connections for iPhone customers.
That's the whole point. It is a claim. In actual practice, when you go to Starbucks, for example, you will get a login screen requesting account information you don't have.

Access to that page is free, of course. Just like AT&T promised.

MoFunz

Jun 27, 2008
Have you experienced this since this was posted? Honestly curious, I haven't tested it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Grr. ATT has said it isn't so. Without a breach of service tethering option, I will probably opt for a USB modem for my Mac and sign up for ATT's 3G laptop plan. I'll at least be able to access all the hotspots with my phone, too.

And then 35 days later after I purchase it, ATT will again announce free WiFi to iPhone customers....and the cycle goes on and on.

Something really official and not just seeing it posted on their website time and again would be nice.

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
FYI, they pulled the page a few hours ago saying it was put up unintentionally...with no plans at the moment. Rack up that 3G while your paying for it!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
FYI, they pulled the page a few hours ago saying it was put up unintentionally...with no plans at the moment. Rack up that 3G while your paying for it!
The "unintentionally" part is what really puts me on the fence. This basically says, to a degree, we know the page exists, but it was put up accidentally. So I equate that to the probability that their web master is coding the page for free wifi to iPhone users and it will implement this sometime in the future.

When? or If? Who knows? I'm not one to sit around and wait for price drops or better deals on things, but a whole branch of service with my wireless provider is adding a lot of overkill if the service will be freely added to my iPhone plan soon.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Here is the only thing that i could find from AT&T about free WIFI for existing customers:

"AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service is FREE and already included if you subscribe to AT&T High Speed Internet, AT&T U-verseSM or AT&T FastAccess® DSL with a speed of 1.5 Mbps or higher. No ordering required! Simply use your AT&T high-speed Internet membership ID and password at any AT&T Wi-Fi Basic hot spot."

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Well, I signed up for LapTopConnect.

It works very well with 3G.

The only thing is, to run WiFi off of my MacBook's antenna at a hotspot, I need the "communications manager" program that is only compatible with Windows. Seeing as I just put a 320gig HDD into my MacBook, I might bootcamp windows to do this.

The service includes 5GB of data a month, so we'll see how that goes at a couple days a week usage. If it was unlimited data, I wouldn't even think about the WiFi option.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Here is the only thing that i could find from AT&T about free WIFI for existing customers:

"AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service is FREE and already included if you subscribe to AT&T High Speed Internet, AT&T U-verseSM or AT&T FastAccess® DSL with a speed of 1.5 Mbps or higher. No ordering required! Simply use your AT&T high-speed Internet membership ID and password at any AT&T Wi-Fi Basic hot spot."
so nothing about free service with iPhones 3g