So, Do you still think JB'ing is worth it?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
This has probably been rehashed on here a few million times, but I am curious as to how many of you think Jailbreaking is still worth it, or if you are having problems, or if you simply went back to stock.
the reason for my asking is that lately, every time I come here to EIC and hit New Posts, it's almost a guarantee that there are several threads about someone who Jailbroke and is now having problems. Some of those threads have been running for a while, but with new people posting in them about the same or similar problems as the OP was having. And there are always at least one new one a day as well.
I am keeping an open mind here but honestly, the only thing I would jailbreak for at this point is to customize my springboard and some of the icons, and that is not reason enough. I personally have suspicions about jailbreaking 2.0 and newer. I don't think it's stable, and suspect that Apple might have something in the 2.0+ firmware that reacts very poorly to a hacked phone.
On my V1 phone, I jailbroke and updated firmware, waited, jailbroke, updated firmware, waited, jailbroke, and then it died. My last jailbreak was with Quickpwn, and as some of you remember, I was having a few issues with battery life and such right after updating to 2.1, and then a few more issues after jailbreaking it and re-jailbreaking it.
Now I am seeing some of the same people still having at least concerns, if not straight out problems with their jailbroken phones that were saying that they were fine back then.

So, if you are jailbroken:

What model iPhone?

What Firmware?

What method of Jailbreak?

Are you/have you had any issues with the phone since you jailbroke it?

Did you have any issues with the phone before you jailbroke it?

Have you returned to stock or still jailbroken?

if you are having problems, what are they and what do you think causes them?

When did the problems start?

I am trying to see if there is some correlation between firmware, jailbreak, and 3rd part app that might be causing the problems.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could figure it out and save everyone from the expense of a new phone? Oh, and for the record, I am now using a 16GB White 3G, stock, with no problems.

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
What model iPhone?
- A 3G iPhone in Black.

What Firmware?

- QuickPwn.

- Nope. None whatsoever.

- Nope, I was just getting bored of the same thing over and over again. (Themes)

- Still Jailbroken and loving it.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What model iPhone?
3G
What Firmware?
QuickPWN
Some lag but only with a theme applied, no theme, but some modifications, like Lincoln's lock widgets don't cause any lag.
Zip.
Still JB.
If you are having problems, what are they and what do you think causes them?
Pretty much no problems except the lag mentioned up there ^
N/A

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
What model iPhone?
3G (16GB)
What Firmware?
QuickPwn 2.1
Nothing really (not noticeable).
None.
I would never want to go back to stock.
None.
(n/a)

So if you have changed your mind and are interested in JB'ing, follow the link for simple QuickPwn step-by-step instructions in my JB Reveal posting.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll save you the time: Jailbreaking causes lag. It's inherent to the process. It didn't used to be this way before 2.0, but something intrinsic to the current jailbreaking process causes the entire phone to run slower.

For me, it's worth it at this point. I don't mind rebooting twice a day, which is the sweetspot I've found that keeps my JB'd phone running smoothly. As long as I can handle that, I still have full control over my phone.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
What model iPhone?
-
iPhone v1/2G

What Firmware?

-
WinPwn

-
A few crashes mostly cause of me browsing Installer, I also got this one error one time that said Winterboard had just crashed and to install updates

-None

-For some reason I like Jailbreaking while keeping the iPhone "looking" Stock

None, but when I did it was because of Installer

-After Browsing Installer, but as long you stay out of Installer or just don't include it in the Jailbreaking process you shouldnt have anything to worry aboout;)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I'll format properly in the interest of science

What model iPhone?

V1

What Firmware?

Quickpwn on Windows XP

Yes. Lag.

No.

Still jailbroken.

I think lag is caused by the inherent nature of the jailbreaking process. Everyone see longer boot times. And almost everyone has to reboot more often. This indicates poor memory usage of some sort, to me.

When I jailbroke.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I'll save you the time: Jailbreaking causes lag. It's inherent to the process. It didn't used to be this way before 2.0, but something intrinsic to the current jailbreaking process causes the entire phone to run slower.
Now this is very interesting.

I have an Apple unlocked 3G 2.1 and a jailbroken/unlocked 2G 2.1.

I bought the unlocked 3G as I was tired of waiting for unlock/jailbreak solutions for the 2G and felt that being 'legal' was the way to go.

However, I'm missing Cycorder, Snapture and Orb over 3G would be nice so I'm tempted to jailbreak the 3G.

Additionally, I suspect that the forthcoming AT&T allowance of tethering will only be for AT&T customers somehow, so there's another reason to jailbreak.

However, and here's the thing, my 3G is noticably 'laggier' and slower than the jailbroken 2G. If I'm likely to experience it being slower then I'll pass on jailbreaking.

Don't get me wrong, the 3G is great and the lag would not even be an issue if I didn't have my 2G to compare.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah the lag is definitely a "threshold of acceptance" thing. It's not so bad most of the time, but when my client is standing there for over 10 seconds while my calendar loads, that's a little embarrassing.

I'm not complaining. I accept that this is now a known side-effect of jailbreaking, and I still choose to do it. However, we all must come to our own conclusion as to whether the benefits are worth it.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I don't think it's worth it--think it's foolish.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
foolish is constantly criticizing when you have zero personal experience.

What model iPhone?

3g 16 gig wht

What Firmware?

Quickpwn on Windows XP

Yes. tiny Lag which is corrected for a short period of time with reboots

Only that it was bland and seemed restrained

Still jailbroken. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be

I discussed this with Dave extensivley and its more than likley the act of jailbraking itself on this particular firmware

When I jailbroke this firmware. Dave mentioned 10 second lags. I HAVE NOTHING LIKE THAT. My "lags" are one and two seconds long...

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
foolish is constantly criticizing when you have zero personal experience.
You don't know my experience, nor do I know yours. Foolish is keeping quiet and not adding your opinion when someone asks the community. I will continue to comment early and often.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
iPhone 3G

Firmware 2.1

QuickPwn Method

Nothing but problems here. I've jailbroken plenty in the past and the 2.1 firmware jailbreak has be by far the worst experience.

Im back to stock.

What model iPhone?

3G 16Gig

What Firmware?

Quickpwn on Windows XP

Laggy just a bit .. not much of a concern to me..

it was pretty booring after sometime :p

Nope.. m good..

nothin to complain about :)

N/A

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, since pwnage tool was released i was using it, and all the apps i had been using pre-2.0... winterboard, scrobbled, and bosstools (including poof) being the main ones.

This last week i got so fed up with the lag, and safari crashes, i decided to JB using a different method, and try to limit the JB apps as much as possible. So today, i just used QuickPwn (for Mac), and have so far installed ONLY Scrobbled... no winterboard, no Boss Prefs (or tools). Seems ok so far. we'll see how it holds up...

(Original method)
What model iPhone?
-8GB v1

What Firmware?

-Pwnage Tool for Mac

-Tons of Safari crashes, and a lot of lag (opening phone, and camera were the main spots)

-lol... i can't remember back that far.

-Still jailbroken... see above message.

-it seems a lot of these "always on" apps are the root of serious lag... i have no proof, though.

-seems like they've been there since 2.0, but had been getting really bad for me the past few weeks.

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
OK. I just uinstalled things and found out what causes lag on my device:

Backgrounder: check
BossPrefs: check
Widgets: Fail
Winterboard: FAIL

So it seems that Winterboard is the big bad wolf. And it isn't the widgets alone that causes lag, but Winterboard. So i'm hoping on a update very soon.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I have a 3G phone and jailbroke it as soon as the method for firmware V2 was available for the Mac. Because Apple kept coming out with new versions ever couple of weeks, I reverted it back to stock and stayed that way until F/W 2.1 came out and a new jailbreak method was released.

After running it that way for about a month, I got tired of the lag and several mysterious crashes so I went back to stock. Although I kind of miss having an interesting customized Home screen, I'm much happier with the faster speed and more reliable operation. To me, being jailbroken wasn't worth the problems.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I had to revirginize after long lag sessions, and more importantly, phone calls stopped coming in.

I wish Apple would just make it more customizable.