So, Do you still think JB'ing is worth it?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Now that Orb's gone 3G, Podcaster will be in the next firmware upgrade and tethering is soon to be approved, it's only Cycorder that I'm missing and Cycorder alone is not reason enough to jailbreak.

Apple are getting there!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What model iPhone?
V1, 4GB, purchased in July '07.

What Firmware?

What method of Jailbreak?

PwnageTool, OS X 10.5.4.

Are you/have you had any issues with the phone since you jailbroke it?

Absolutely. I deal with great amount of lag and apps are very slow to load. Neither of these problem are present on my phone when it is stock, regardless of the firmware version.

Did you have any issues with the phone before you jailbroke it?

On 2.0.x, yes. Even more so on jailbroken 2.0.x, however. Stock 2.1, no problems at all.

Have you returned to stock or still jailbroken?

Still jailbroken... need WinterBoard. (I'd much prefer to be stock.)

If you are having problems, what are they and what do you think causes them?

• Lag - system-wide, lots of it.
• Apps taking long to open. The icon is dark for a second, then the loading screen is up for a long time.
• Extremely long boot times.

I do believe that some apps - such as BossPrefs and WinterBoard - cause some lag, but I blame the majority of it on PwnageTool/QuickPwn/WinPwn/WhateverPwn. When I jailbroke on the pre-2.0 via Java apps or ZiPhone, I had no more problems jailbroken than I did stock.

When did the problems start?

Immediately upon jailbreaking. Lag seems to increase as time goes on.

failsafe

Bronze
Oct 17, 2008
San Diego
What model iPhone?
3G 8GB

What Firmware?

Quickpwn

None. Only lag I have really noticed is getting into Cydia (but I assume this is the app and not the phone).

No

Still Jailbroken, won't go back to stock. So far my experience has been that the advantages far outweigh the risks.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
So, if you are jailbroken:

What model iPhone?
iPhone 3G Black

What Firmware?

QuickPWN

not really, just apps crash more

nope

will when 2.2 releases, and ill probably stay

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
What model iPhone?
3G 8GB and 16gb 3G

What Firmware?

Quickpwn

a little bit when going to contacs and to the sms but its not that bad. just need a little patience

No

i had my 8GB jailbroken since almost the first month. its still jailbroken and i used my 16GB for one day in its stock form and i ended up jailbreaking it as well. i just like to mod my springboard and custom themes too much.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
I find this thread quite interesting so here goes...

What model iPhone?
- 2G 16GB originally 1.1.2

What Firmware?
- JB'd/Unlocked up to 1.1.4. Now JB'd/Unlocked 2.1

- PwnageTool 2.1 on Mac

- None except the same old lag... which doesn;t really bother me unless someone is watching when I launch SMS or iCal and then they SEEM to take forever, but I don't really mind.

- I have never used it unJB'd because there was none available where I was unless purchased elsewhere then JB'd/Unlocked to work all around the world (which is what I need and use it for).

- Still JB'd/Unlocked and undoubtedly never would return it to stock - I love it.

if you are having problems, what are they and what do you think causes them?
- None really, except the lag... but I don't see that as a problem if I compare it to not having use of the iPhone.

- From first use... at which time I didn't see any problems because there was nothing to compare it to. Only since seeing stock iPhones have I realised the lag issue with some apps.

For me, I want to use the iPhone mainly because (1) it's a lovely phone device to use when unlocked (2) it has other extremely useful and appealing features when I'm on the road (3) it interfaces faultlessly with my laptop in every way (4) most notably with a database of over 8 thousand entries. Also, I work all round the world in all sorts of countries, a lot of which is by phone. That scenario means that I can either use roaming or use local sim cards. I've used local sim cards for years and years in a variety of phones and smartphones, having found from experience that most people (not so much in corporate context but in personal context which a lot of my work revolves around) are hesitant to call me using an international roaming number but are totally happy to use a local sim number.
That all makes my iPhone JB'd/Unlocked not only appealing but also almost vital to the smooth operation of my life and businesss.
I just hope that some day I can just buy an apple-unlocked iPhone somewhere (I don't really mind what price) without all the historically-un-apple-like you-will-have-no-choice-of-freedom marketing of the iPhone requiring contracts and unrealistically priced usage which are totally impractical for a person with a businesss of the kind I have. Even then, I'd probably JB it because I enjoy the freedom of choice that it offers the device's functionality.

I love the iPhone and I can only use one if it's JB'd/Unlocked so I could be seen as biased I guess.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
What model iPhone?

What Firmware?

if you are having problems, what are they and what do you think causes them?

I'd like to add a question to the list...

What is the ONE app from Cydia/Installer, that you can't do without, that keeps you jailbreaking?

If the same/similar is on the appstore but you jailbreak to get it for free, please choose aonther :)

It would be good to know what's really indispensable.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
after reading through this thread, so far, here is what I noticed. (obviously, this is not a full representation of the iPhone community)
Pwnage for Mac seems to have slight problems.
Winterboard definitely causes lag
of those that jailbroke their phones, nearly all of you stayed that way
if the apps available through Cydia were in the apps store, you would still jailbreak.
if there was a "legal" way to customize your phone, many of you would stay stock.
correct anything that is wrong here.
This thread is mostly to find out who is having problems and to see what is causing them. In general, it seems that jailbreaking alone will slow the phone down, but there seems to be issues with apps that "run in the background" like winterboard and such.
Keep posting and we shall see if we can narrow it down further.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I turned my winterboard theme back on. The speed difference wasn't really that stunning over the long run. The lag just creeps in over time (even if I'm not using the phone), so fresh reboots seems to be the only answer.

If I reboot my phone twice a day I'm generally pretty happy with the lack of lag.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Technical Mumbo-Jumbo Warning!...

This is key. Once a day is good with me, though...
Technical Mumbo-Jumbo Warning!...

This is probably true. Since the JB process alters the original firmware and its coding, there are bound to be what we programmars call "memory leaks".

This is when certain algorithms/routines do not release memory that is no longer needed back into the pool of available memory. After a while (a day or more frequently), the amount of available memory becomes scarce and the operating system has to scrounge around looking for memory to use (or swapping memory with an existing process) whenever a program is invoked. This process takes longer over time as the amount of available memory dwindles, thus resulting is launch-time lag.

Rebooting the device reclaims all the available memory and apps seem to load faster (for a while, at least), then the whole vicious cycle begins again.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's certainly a possibility, but we've never experienced anything like this with pre-2.0 jailbroken iPhones. As someone has mentioned previously (sorry, i forgot who that was), i think it's more due to how Apple has allocated resources differently to ensure appstore apps run as smoothly as possible.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
after reading through this thread, so far, here is what I noticed. (obviously, this is not a full representation of the iPhone community)
Pwnage for Mac seems to have slight problems.
Winterboard definitely causes lag
of those that jailbroke their phones, nearly all of you stayed that way
if the apps available through Cydia were in the apps store, you would still jailbreak.
if there was a "legal" way to customize your phone, many of you would stay stock.
correct anything that is wrong here.
This thread is mostly to find out who is having problems and to see what is causing them. In general, it seems that jailbreaking alone will slow the phone down, but there seems to be issues with apps that "run in the background" like winterboard and such.
Keep posting and we shall see if we can narrow it down further.
I'm sorry, but anybody that goes this way is being rather childish. If you could do everything that you can do jailbroken on a stock phone and would still jailbreak, you're basically doing it because you think it makes you cool.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, it's a moot point, anyway... because that'll never happen.

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Acosmi..ch?ipoo...? (on my iføne, so can't see your name.. Sorry)

About the jailbreaking on pre -2.0 phones. Its not the same jailbreak app. I used ZiPhone on 1.1.4. And i guess the jailbreaking method is not the same on QuickPwn. So it might be QuickPwn or Apples fault. We don't know yet.. Or do we?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
true... i was making the assumption that the same people that made quality jailbreak apps before would not release one that led to memory leaks.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
I'd like to add a question to the list...
What is the ONE app from Cydia/Installer, that you can't do without, that keeps you jailbreaking?
If the same/similar is on the appstore but you jailbreak to get it for free, please choose aonther :)
It would be good to know what's really indispensable.
Apps don't keep me jailbreaking, nor does price - general functionality and unlocking does. And I'd have to add that there's not any ONE app that's indispensable for me, several are. I doubt that anyone could say just one. Snapture, Converter, BossPrefs, RemoteNotes, WeDict and CIDE and Thesaurus, SpringDial, VideoRecorder and PDF Viewer are definites for functionality but for just aesthetics I'd have to add Summerboard and SBLeopard999, Screenshot Enabler, WeDict and CIDE and Thesaurus, p;us games such as iSlots, plus iPhysics and PinBall... oh there are a few that are just for fun but also indispensible on planes and in those agonising Immigration lines. But one? Hmmmm... maybe SpringDial.

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, since pwnage tool was released i was using it, and all the apps i had been using pre-2.0... winterboard, scrobbled, and bosstools (including poof) being the main ones.

This last week i got so fed up with the lag, and safari crashes, i decided to JB using a different method, and try to limit the JB apps as much as possible. So today, i just used QuickPwn (for Mac), and have so far installed ONLY Scrobbled... no winterboard, no Boss Prefs (or tools). Seems ok so far. we'll see how it holds up...

(Original method)
What model iPhone?
-8GB v1

What Firmware?

-Pwnage Tool for Mac

-Tons of Safari crashes, and a lot of lag (opening phone, and camera were the main spots)

-lol... i can't remember back that far.

-Still jailbroken... see above message.

If you are having problems, what are they and what do you think causes them?

-it seems a lot of these "always on" apps are the root of serious lag... i have no proof, though.

-seems like they've been there since 2.0, but had been getting really bad for me the past few weeks.
well, about a half hour ago i experienced a seriously annoying safari freeze/crash. Looks like i'll just have to live with it.