So easy a 2 year-old can do it... call 911 that is!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

joolee

Jun 30, 2007
Round 1 in the iPhone vs. 2 year-old experiment...

We put a passcode on the phone so he couldn't get into it and so we handed it over to him. He already calls it the "cool phone." There are other phones - including another mobile phone in the house, but the iPhone is known as the "cool phone."

After five minutes of fiddling with it, he figured out how to turn it on and slide the sliding button to reveal the passcode keypad. He got the passcode wrong, but did manage to put the Emergency Call button.

We canceled it before he got any further!

Okay, Steve Jobs. iPhone is not toddler proof!

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
if you ever mistakenly call 911, don't just hang up and "cancel the call" that's really unfair to dispatchers who then have to decide if someone is really hurt or not and whether to ignore the call, which they can't really do, or waste resources responding. Always stay on the line and tell them it was a mistake, please.

Huge pet peeve. I work dispatch sometimes and i HATE it when people just hang up.

joolee

Jun 30, 2007
we stopped him before he actually dialed

He had pushed the Emergency Call button, which gives you one more chance to cancel before you call in case you push the wrong button.

joolee

Jun 30, 2007
He just wants to do what the big people do

I am still reeling from the fact that someone would let a two year old hold the phone!
He's oddly responsible for a two year old. Actually, he's two and a half. He closes doors, turns off lights, and puts things away on his own. He loves looking at the pictures on the iPhone and having his pictures taken. Like I said, he's already given it a name: he calls it the "cool phone" and is really gentle with it, and we watch him closely.

It's actually far safer for him to play with the iPhone than our computers, which he insists on from time to time, including my MacBook Pro. Now THAT scares me.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Think about it like this:
What if your in a desperate situation, like a burglary, and your life is potentially at danger. Your two year old is hiding, and you motion for him to call the police. He instinctively grabs the iPhone, presses the emergency call button, and police arrive immediately! Your iPhone is now safe! :)

Steve Jobs saves us all.