So far what's the best GPS program for the iPhone ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Free - MapQuest
Paid - Navigon

The main difference between the free and paid versions is that the paid ones have preloaded maps and don't require an Internet connection. They both have turn-by-turn directions.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
For turn by turn I use AT&T navigator. Think it is five bucks a month in my phone bill.
For marking spots for future reference I love motionx gps. Works great. Was a few bucks in app store. I use mapmyhike weekly. Is great for mapping routes of any kind. Running walking hiking driving.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
$5 a month adds up, though. I think Navigon is down to $40 now. My only complaint is the method it uses for inputting addresses. 'Around Me' fixes that if your phone is stock and 'Navigate From Maps' fixes it if it's jailbroken.

Have you tested MapQuest, Rugaby?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
$5 a month adds up, though. I think Navigon is down to $40 now. My only complaint is the method it uses for inputting addresses. 'Around Me' fixes that if your phone is stock and 'Navigate From Maps' fixes it if it's jailbroken.

Have you tested MapQuest, Rugaby?
I think so. Going to have to double check. I never use turn by turn. Maybe twice in a year. I use the stock maps app to look at the list view of the directions and go from there. I keep paying for it though for the "Justin" factor.
You know. Justin case I need it. :)
The only times I can recall using it is everytime I go to voodoo doughnut in Portland.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, check it out. It will save you some money. I haven't ever used it, but Dave and hippo, and some others here like it.

capri

Bronze
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks . When you purchase Navigon is it city by city or it's the world map with all the cities in the world ?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

capri

Bronze
Jan 1, 2012
It will be mainly used when driving a car , getting directions. So far no plans to use it for hiking.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks . When you purchase Navigon is it city by city or it's the world map with all the cities in the world?
No, it's just for the country you live in. However, the North American version includes Canada. I think it's $40 now. I've already purchased it so it doesn't show me the current price.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Navigon is a very good mobile satnav. The price is more than reasonable :)

Thanks . When you purchase Navigon is it city by city or it's the world map with all the cities in the world ?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app
Navigon makes several apps for different areas i.e Navigon Europa, Navigon North America etc.