So...I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro...

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
...and I like it. A lot. Maybe even more than my iPad 4. Why?
  • It runs a full OS, not a mobile OS, at the convenience of being a tablet device.
  • It's not an ARM device, but Intel Core i5, which means this tablet can run anything Windows always could, 32-bit and 64-bit alike.
  • It comes with a pressure sensitive stylus, being a wannabe artist, very important!
  • USB 3.0
  • Mini-display port
  • Faster, more powerful than an iPad 4
I did a side-by-side comparison of which tablet booted faster, and the Surface Pro literally booted 6x faster than my iPad. Also it is WAY EASIER to draw, huge plus for using Wacom technology:

Not too bad for a 3 minute sketch. I do, however, have some cons to list off:
  • Either my calibration is off, or there's some issues using the pen on an angle when in the corners of the screen, as it appears to detect it farther than the pen itself is. (works fine elsewhere on the screen)
  • The gloss screen makes it hard to rest your hand on the screen while drawing, as your hand will start to stick to it if you sweat a bit. Hopefully I'll find a matte-finish screen protector for it, then this would be awesome.
  • Battery life is only about 5 hours at most.
  • I can't seem to get the screen to stop auto-adjusting the brightness while using it, and the adjustment is significant. This is probably just a user-knowledge issue, however.
  • The keyboard touch cover is meh. Some days it's good, but it's really hard to type without looking down at the keyboard. I know there's a mechanical keyboard cover, but they're sold out everywhere! (I wonder why...)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks for sharing your review. I liked the way the cover attached to the Surface. There's something to that whole click thing.

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
I love the concept of a full windows experience on a tablet, I'm just swaying on the decision because at this point I don't see a difference between this and a thin/small screened laptop.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I love the concept of a full windows experience on a tablet, I'm just swaying on the decision because at this point I don't see a difference between this and a thin/small screened laptop.
The buy-in for me was the built-in Wacom digitizer + pressure sensitive pen, making it like an effective Tablet PC. I hate Windows 8 on my desktop computer, but on this I actually like it a lot.