so I dropped my iPhone yesterday....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I was leaving the restroom and got a text. I stopped, checked it, and then proceded to the door as I slipped the iPhone into my pocket. Unfortunately, it didn't slide down into my pocket, but fell out and down to the floor.
All I had on the iPhone was the invisible shield. It hit the corner by the mic (which still works fine) with the phone almost completely vertical. it spun in the air for a second, then hit a couple more times on different corners before finally lying flat. I of course was a bit pissed off at the whole affair, but noticed that nothing seemed wrong with the phone at all.
I get back to my desk, and finally notice that the only piece of damamge is the antenna cover is sticking out slightly at the mic area. Otherwise, no damage at all. so I try to snap the cover back into place, but it's not going.
Last night I took it off and put it back on, and it's still not fully seating. Almost like the phone is no longer a perfect rectangle, but a parallelagram, meaning one side has shifted higher than the other.
Needless to say I ordered a new cover, and hopefully I can get the phone back together the way it was supposed to be in the first place.
The reason for this post? to let you know that had my phone been completely naked, I could almost guarrantee that it would have been dented and damaged a LOT worse. Thank you Invisible Shield. ( which I have to send back to get the new one since I pulled it off to work on the antenna cover - great warranty!)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Sorry Hawk, that was something that I did not want to read. At least your screen did not crack, but it would not surprise me if at some point you will have dead zones on the screen.

Yesterday when I was picking my son up from school a bunch of us were standing and waiting for the gate to open, we were talking and all of a sudden BAM this one womans iPhone smacked down on the concrete, I gasped then realized she had a clear case on, just scratches to the case.

And me I am naked.........:eek:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Very true. Thanks guys.
Well, I went to www.cnn.cn last night and ordered the new cover, so I should have it in a couple weeks. Hopefully it will fit right on and I won't have any worries about the phone not being rectangular.
If not, well, it will still look new, even it it's not completely in place.

Nov 18, 2007
So there I was unloading my 4x4 lifted dodge pickup wearing a shirt with a pocket. I bent over and my phone took a dump... Not on the bed... on the concrete below... and worst of all my phone was unprotected... It landed on the corner near the lock button, and dented the case... iPhone still works great =) But I think the final score is Gravity=1 iPhone=0 my pants=Soiled.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yeah, as soon as I took the 'Shield off, I put my phone right back into my Vaja Topholster case. Planning on getting a switch easy case next for all around use

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Sorry this happened to you Hawk. I'm sure with a new cover, you wont even notice the slight imperfection. Be careful next time you're sliding it into your pocket.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i hate reading these stories. it's a like a car accident: you know it's horrible but you just can't look away.

i remember before i had my Agent18 case i was SUPER paranoid about dropping it. even when i drop it on the carpet i pee myself a little.

hopefully your new casing will fit flush and you can just pretend like this never happened.

i love my iPhone naked but i won't take the risk anymore.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Update!

Ok, my antenna cover arrived today. (my boss just brought it to me - Fun.)
So I open up the envelope and take a look. First thing I notice is the sticker on the inside of the cover. Great. I ever take it in, I'll have my warranty denied if they ever pop the cover. It's not a normal sticker either. It's almost like paint with a sticky backing. I used an exacto knife to carefuly and patiently lift up the stick in pieces as it was again, brittle like paint. as soon as I got all of it off, it looked like I had scraped the inside of the cover getting the sticker off. Much to my relief, it was just the glue. I used a paper napkin and some alcohol based hand-sanitizer to gentlely remove the glue. Perfect.
Now it's time to remove my previous cover and put the new one on. Before the new one goes on, it's going to be wiped out again on the inside with alcohol to remove any and all fingerprints.
I'll let you all know how it goes from here. If this one has a problem going on, I'm kinda screwed and I'll chaulk it up as out of warranty.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ok, my antenna cover arrived today. (my boss just brought it to me - Fun.)
So I open up the envelope and take a look. First thing I notice is the sticker on the inside of the cover. Great. I ever take it in, I'll have my warranty denied if they ever pop the cover. It's not a normal sticker either. It's almost like paint with a sticky backing. I used an exacto knife to carefuly and patiently lift up the stick in pieces as it was again, brittle like paint. as soon as I got all of it off, it looked like I had scraped the inside of the cover getting the sticker off. Much to my relief, it was just the glue. I used a paper napkin and some alcohol based hand-sanitizer to gentlely remove the glue. Perfect.
Now it's time to remove my previous cover and put the new one on. Before the new one goes on, it's going to be wiped out again on the inside with alcohol to remove any and all fingerprints.
I'll let you all know how it goes from here. If this one has a problem going on, I'm kinda screwed and I'll chaulk it up as out of warranty.

I bought online the special "smudge tool" for the removal of the back for iPhones, with shipment and everything it was only $6, but havn't used it because I was going to take the paper out of the speaker, but since the 1.1.3 update, it is super load without doing that.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well. my suspicions are confirmed... Because of the way the phone hit when it fell, it landed on the microphone corner (as if it were standing up) and the phone is no longer 100% rectangular.
The new cover is on much better than the old one, but it still hangs out a little next to the connector and will NOT snap into place, even when pushed past "flush".