So I love Apple and their products, but at the expense of lives?

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
So like the title says, I love Apple, but all of this hype around the "sweat shops" in China has me worried. I understand that China is a completely different culture than the US and they actually want those jobs, but it's bothering my conscience. I just don't know if I can in good conscience buy another Apple product. Which hurts my heart, because I have been planning to buy the iPad 3 and upgrade to Siri. I just don't know know. I don't want a cheap generic rip-off either. I just can't imagine using an Android. leaves a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it. I just do not want to condone bad behavior either. Not to mention, Apple could bring Sooo many jobs here, but claim we don't have the work force and it's too expensive. I understand they are here to make a profit, but do they have no love of country?
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I figured this was the best place to discuss these issues, among my fellow Apple lovers.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
? So you would rather us pretend that it's not happening?
Do you make all of your own clothes? Wear shoes? Watch tv?

I'm saying you don't want to go there. Definitely not with me. I'm the first to recognize moral issues and also the first to say they shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. Someone's feeling always get hurt. Emotions come into play. It's not good. I personally won't discuss them with you.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I've always seen businesss without morals or values. In today's economy, you've got to do whatever makes you more profit with less money spent, and that's exactly what Apple and a lot of multinational companies are doing. If you don't want to buy their products because that seems unethical, then don't, but don't think everyone is going to stop purchasing them as well. So when it's all said and done, whatever makes you richer, go for it, even if it means producing products outside your country.

Christopher Meinck

Administrator
Administrator
Sep 13, 2008
I just don't know if I can in good conscience buy another Apple product. Which hurts my heart, because I have been planning to buy the iPad 3 and upgrade to Siri. I just don't know know. I don't want a cheap generic rip-off either. I just can't imagine using an Android.

Serious question: Is there a phone that isn't made in China?

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
I've always seen businesss without morals or values. In today's economy, you've got to do whatever makes you more profit with less money spent, and that's exactly what Apple and a lot of multinational companies are doing. If you don't want to buy their products because that seems unethical, then don't, but don't think everyone is going to stop purchasing them as well. So when it's all said and done, whatever makes you richer, go for it, even if it means producing products outside your country.
That's the type of thing I hate....nothing made in this country cause they don't want to pay us an honest wage....

Isn't Life grand!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
As unfortunate as the working conditions and ages of workers may be, I don't think most people are willing to pay $1,000+ for their smartphones so I don't forsee a change here. If it really bothers you and you are willing to pay that much you can leave feedback for Apple here, start raising awareness, and refuse to purchase these products until the working conditions are improved.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
As unfortunate as the working conditions and ages of workers may be, I don't think most people are willing to pay $1,000+ for their smartphones so I don't forsee a change here. If it really bothers you and you are willing to pay that much you can leave feedback for Apple here, start raising awareness and refuse to purchase these products until the working conditions are improved.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I wouldn't want to pay $1000+ for a phone either, sorry.

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
I realize that almost everything is made in China and I don't even really mean to pick at Apple. They are not the only company that does this. Apple just has been in the news a lot recently for it. I just wanted to know how everyone else feels about it. It's reassuring to know that the majority of users here would rather exploit foreign works then spend a few hundred dollars more. At least you all are honest and I cannot begrudge that. I just know one thing, we would never allow these policies in America. Ha. After five hours of work we demand a break, let alone work sixteen hours without a break. I just wonder why most Americans think that it's okay for it to go on there, but these same policies would never be tolerated here. It's just made me reevaluate myself and my own morals is all. I just wanted to know if I wasn't the only Apple lover that reevaluated themselves and what's really important.
Did anyone else see the article where Obama asked Jobs what it would take to get these same jobs here in America? And Jobs basically replied that it would never happen, because we do not have the work force. Which it's true, we do not have engineers like that, let alone engineers willing to work for practically nothing.
I still love Apple and I know that without these practices they could not have achieved the success. I also love the quality of my products and I do not believe they would have meet the same quality standards if they were assembled here.
My intentions were not to offend or cause a moral debate, just an adult conversation between people with similar likes. I figured where else would I do that then among my eic people's! I love this community and enjoy reading all of the comments, even though I do not contribute as much as I should. I learn a lot from reading others posts and this gives me immense pleasure. I hung around for months and just watched the threads before I ever decided to join.

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
All of this aside, In true American fashion, I do believe I will purchase Siri this weekend. how can I not?! It's exquisite work. Plus, it's not all Apple, the Chinese allow this to happen as well. Ahhh I am done with this for now. Anyone have any iPhone "5" rumors? Lol.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
All of this aside, In true American fashion, I do believe I will purchase Siri this weekend. how can I not?! It's exquisite work. Plus, it's not all Apple, the Chinese allow this to happen as well. Ahhh I am done with this for now. Anyone have any iPhone "5" rumors? Lol.

Yes, it's gonna be called iPhoneFIVE

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I realize that almost everything is made in China and I don't even really mean to pick at Apple. They are not the only company that does this. Apple just has been in the news a lot recently for it. I just wanted to know how everyone else feels about it. It's reassuring to know that the majority of users here would rather exploit foreign works then spend a few hundred dollars more. At least you all are honest and I cannot begrudge that. I just know one thing, we would never allow these policies in America. Ha. After five hours of work we demand a break, let alone work sixteen hours without a break. I just wonder why most Americans think that it's okay for it to go on there, but these same policies would never be tolerated here. It's just made me reevaluate myself and my own morals is all. I just wanted to know if I wasn't the only Apple lover that reevaluated themselves and what's really important.
Did anyone else see the article where Obama asked Jobs what it would take to get these same jobs here in America? And Jobs basically replied that it would never happen, because we do not have the work force. Which it's true, we do not have engineers like that, let alone engineers willing to work for practically nothing.
I still love Apple and I know that without these practices they could not have achieved the success. I also love the quality of my products and I do not believe they would have meet the same quality standards if they were assembled here.
My intentions were not to offend or cause a moral debate, just an adult conversation between people with similar likes. I figured where else would I do that then among my eic people's! I love this community and enjoy reading all of the comments, even though I do not contribute as much as I should. I learn a lot from reading others posts and this gives me immense pleasure. I hung around for months and just watched the threads before I ever decided to join.

There are no engineers over in china. All they do is assemble the phones. There may be managers, but not engineers. All of the engineers are in America. Apple could wipe out americas unemployment rate to nothing if the moved over here. Tink of it this way, we are stimulating the Chinese economy. At least they have a job, and it didn't stop at least 10,000 people from applying at Foxconn the other week, after all of this came about.

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
There are no engineers over in china. All they do is assemble the phones. There may be managers, but not engineers. All of the engineers are in America. Apple could wipe out americas unemployment rate to nothing if the moved over here. Tink of it this way, we are stimulating the Chinese economy. At least they have a job, and it didn't stop at least 10,000 people from applying at Foxconn the other week, after all of this came about.
Exactly my point. Apple could wipe out our unemployment problems, but they would rather use cheap labor. We are in debt trillions of dollars to this country, yet Apple guarantees their people employment. The poor people in China can either starve-to-death or work in these conditions, of course they are still applying.

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston

I agree with you on this I would pay a bit more for products made in the us but the problem is that I don't ever see this changing in my lifetime because people just want things as cheap as they can buy them and companies want cheap labor. Sad Apple has 43000 us jobs and over 750000 overseas job :(. Many other companies are like this but just saying Apple cause it's the topic today

Isn't Life grand!

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
For the record, an article in the huffington post referred to them as engineers. I will try to look it up later.