So...I modified my in earphone speakers and now they sound great! ((You can too))

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
I got the heads up from a friend on another board who modified his Apple
earbuds to sound much better

He linked me to this youtube link

where this guy modified his Apple earbuds by swapping them with a JVC set of speakers but keeping the white Apple wires and microphone set! The best [art is that everything still works ((including all the mic functions))

Well I went out and purchased these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...e9500&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1155848368219

and needless to say the mod went great and I've got a killer set of headphones right now. The bass is unbelievable and very clear. The highs are also clear and great

The whole process takes about 15 mins and all you'll need is some glue, a small soldering iron and the new set of ear bud headphones you want to swap out for the Apple ones

Here are my stats of the same speaker setup

component_type: Headphones Unknown modifier
Specific Uses For Product: Portable audio system
Remote Control Description: None
Audio Output Type: Headphones
Headphones Technology: Binaural
Headphones Form Factor: In-ear ear-bud
Connectivity Technology: Wired
audio_output_mode: Stereo Unknown modifier
Audio Output Response Bandwidth: 6 - 23500 Hz
Weight: 0.2 pounds
output=102 Db

I'm not sure what the OEM Apple speaker stats are but needless to say with this mod and the Audio Amp program from installer, I NEVER have to go past 40-50% any longer. These things are loud and have a great midrange home theatre sound...
Any questions...feel free to ask

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Excellent find, I will look into this, my headphones already blew out - that annoying bass rattle / buzzing sound (as all iPhone / ipod headfones do :( )and are coming apart lol....

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
nice find...

now will someone ship me out a soldering iron? I have like 6 pairs of heaphones I need to combine together... LOL..

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Haha guys soldering irons go for 5.99 at Radio Shack for the smaller one. Which in this case is perfect

helotr3vor

Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
I want to try this but I have the feeling I would screw up

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I did this when the video came out last year and it works great. A tad tedious, but great results FTW.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Too cool for school.

Thanks for the head's up. I'll try this tomorrow and report my results.

Sep 29, 2007
That is kinda cool..my headphones went in the water and miraculously they still work and are better quality then before but I will keep this in mind for later .

Nice Find

snpri3

Bronze
Mar 26, 2008
wowzers i gotta try this, i was actually thinking of spending a 150$ on some Bose headphone but after seeing this no Thanks

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Too cool for school.

Thanks for the head's up. I'll try this tomorrow and report my results.
Please do! For me its been about 4 days and I'm soo glad I did this mod. I was getting upset because i kept those little black ear bud foam covers I got from Radio Shack for the white iPhone earphones. They hold them in your ear and make the OEM earphones sound great but unfortunately, they come off easy and keep getting lost

Anyhow the sound, fit and finish with these Phillips earbuds is incredible. The best part...they don't fall out your ears...ever! The model # for my headset is SHE9500.

Do a CNET search for the review on these. Most folks give them praise for the range of sound they cover from clear highs to deeep bass all for about 30 bucks or so. Plus they come with this Crown Royal like bag to carry them in plus some extra ear gel things for different size fits. You can't lose with these

I also bought a set of Sony headphones I took back in 24 hours because they were not comfortable at all

That is kinda cool..my headphones went in the water and miraculously they still work and are better quality then before but I will keep this in mind for later .

Nice Find
Haha maybe that's the secret incredient after all

wowzers i gotta try this, i was actually thinking of spending a 150$ on some Bose headphone but after seeing this no Thanks
Me too! In fact when I was at Best Buy I had both earphones in my hand and was trying to decide which I was going to get at the time...I went with this set because if they sucked I could try the Bose ones out later ((plus they're a lot cheaper))...well needless to say they don't suck and I'm not going back haha