So, iPad Air, or iPad Mini 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by bballrob, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

After I first heard the announcement yesterday, I was pretty sure I was going to get the new iPad Air. However, after mulling this thing over for the past 24 hours or so, I'm not so sure.

Is it just me, or is the iPad Mini 2 pretty darn close to the iPad Air in a different size shell? I'm thinking that for $100 less, and sacrificing a little bit of real estate on the screen, I could move to the Mini and get the 64 Gig for the price I would have otherwise paid for 32 GB Air.

Anyone else out there have similar thoughts?

(Edited to add Mini to the first sentence of paragraph 2.)

#1 bballrob, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Do you mean the iPad mini 2 (AKA mini with Retina display)? If so, yes I agree it's very similar spec-wise. I'm waiting for the ifixit teardown to see if there's a difference in RAM, although I don't expect it.

I think i might also wait to decide until I get to check out an Air in person to see how easy it is to handle compared to the mini.

In the end, I think I will prefer the Air. I had a mini for almost a year, and while I really liked it, I missed the bigger keyboard. On a regular iPad, I could type with all 10 fingers, but on the mini, all I could manage was two-thumb typing like on phones.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Yes, I meant iPad Mini 2.

Sent using iCafe app

4. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I would get the AIR. I have an iPad 3 and really love the size for video playback. It also is perfect for reading magazines. I would love the new one solely for the weight savings. I believe it is 8 ounces lighter.

Sent using iCafe app

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had initially thought the iPad mini with retina would be my next iPad. Now I'm not so sure. Based on the first hands-on impressions, the size reduction is drastic and noticeable. What I love about the iPad mini is how reckless I can be with it. It's so small, that I never worry about dropping it. With the iPad 4, there were times I would be hesitant to grab it. For me, the mini became more usable.

I'm curious to see battery charging times on both devices. I have never done comparisons, but if memory serves me, the iPad 4 took a bit of time to charge. The mini charges fast.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Shouldn't charging times be directly proportional to the batteries' watt-hours?

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Yes, so the iPad Air should take longer to charge. This makes sense, given the added pixels and similar battery life to the mini.

iPad Air: Built-in 32.4-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
    iPad mini: Built-in 23.8-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

don't they both have the same resolution screen?

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I think with tight supplies, many may not be able to have the iPad Mini 2 in their hands by Christmas. That might lead them to purchasing the iPad Air.

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am right there ..can't decide on which !
    I may get the Air. Ahhh what to do? I got the Mini now and thought the next iPad I will go back to the regular size.

11. Just Mark

Just Mark New Member

Also relevant is the current capacity of the charger. There are after market chargers that will charge quicker than the supplied charger as well as some that are much slower. I have also noticed a much quicker charge time when charging on 220V 50hz (Europe and Middle East) than 120V 60Hz in the U.S.

12. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Sweet! My thread here was referenced and used as the basis for @chris'atest front page article!

Sent using iCafe app

13. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Both, if I can work it out money-wise. I've just sold my iPad 3, and will sell my iPad mini once I buy the Air on launch day.

I'll see how much I like / love the Air over a few weeks before the Retina mini launch and also see if money works out to get both. If it doesn't I'll sell the Air and go with just the Retina mini.

14. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I'm getting the iPad Air. I've been waiting for it for a while. I'm very excited about it finally being available.

We purchased an iPad Mini for my mother for her birthday. She loved it. My sister has the iPad mini also and she loves it. I'm not a fan of the Mini. I love the full size iPad Air so the choice is simple for me.

To each his own.

15. ZipZap

ZipZap Member
    Silver

Ipad Mini Air

16. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

As you say to each their own. My decision to go with the iPad Mini Retina instead of the iPad Air is the ease of carrying and handling. I feel the iPad Air although thinner and lighter compared to its predecessors, is still a bit large to hold with one hand. I feel like I would be carrying around a laptop screen.

17. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I just read this on MacRumors

Originally Posted by angemon89 viewpost.gif
    But how many rams?
    1GB (975 MB) according to the full benchmark. I was thinking it'd only have 512 MB to help differentiate it from the Air. Glad to see I was wrong.

18. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

Like the Air. Thinking trade in my IPad 2.

Sent using iCafe app

19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Well I ended up getting the air a couple days ago. While it is slightly more awkward to use in certain situations compared to the smaller mini, it more than makes up with it in landscape keyboard mode. The air is a dream to type on with all fingers, whereas the mini I could only thumb type. Thumb typing can get really tedious for anything other than short texting.

So overall I'm really happy with the air.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I could write a novel on my iPhone with thumb typing. I've gotten so used to it that it's on the same level as using a keyboard on a computer. I haven't used a full-size iPad long enough to get to that level of comfort. I had an iPad 3 for a year but rarely used it because typing on it was so awkward for me. I can sit on the couch or a chair and easily type on my phone, but I would have to set the iPad 3 on a table to type. If I'm going to do that, I'll just use my computer. I know I'm the oddball here preferring the small phone over the iPad and not being able to get used to the screen size of the iPad. I was able to type on the mini 1 easier than the iPad 3, but it was still awkward to hold and type, so I haven't decided if I'm going to get an iPad this year. I would use it for movies and eBooks, though. Do you have to set it on a table to type?