So, is the new 3G iPhone going to have a new look?

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Will the new iPhones look different or will it just be a 3g upgrade. Also, will they add other things besides the addition of 3g? Does anyone know or does no one know? What will us iPhone users do to get them? upgrade some how?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Great question. Nobody knows. We are all feeding each other gossip. All we know is the 3G radio. The rest, who knows. GPS? WiFi? Only time will tell.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
i like the look of the iPhone now. Only changes that i could see Apple doing would be different colors to choose from. Current color and black anodized aluminum

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I would imagine they would go 802.11n because the new time capsules support that and I'm sure they want to keep up with the times in that respect as well. But everything ANYONE says is speculation until it literally comes out of Apple's mouth.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Many rumors about an additional camera lens for video conferencing. That would have to change the look slightly. I hope they don't change it too much. I like the looks of it now.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sure, why not throw out my prediction yet again:

People that are wanting lots of new features will be disappointed. It will be 3G, "better screen" (but same size and rez), maybe more memory, maybe GPS. But I think that will be about it. I think it it will run the same software and othewise have the same capabilities as generation 1.

I hope they prove me wrong, but I really kinda doubt it for multiple reasons.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Sure, why not throw out my prediction yet again:

People that are wanting lots of new features will be disappointed. It will be 3G, "better screen" (but same size and rez), maybe more memory, maybe GPS. But I think that will be about it. I think it it will run the same software and othewise have the same capabilities as generation 1.

I hope they prove me wrong, but I really kinda doubt it for multiple reasons.
Well it will need to have some additional bells and whistles to justify the iPhone Pro tag that some analysts are predicting.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Well it will need to have some additional bells and whistles to justify the iPhone Pro tag that some analysts are predicting.
I certainly hope that the bells and whistles aren't actually things that should have been in the first generation. Having to pay a premium for such niceties as cut and paste, GPS, A2DP won't tickle.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I certainly hope that the bells and whistles aren't actually things that should have been in the first generation. Having to pay a premium for such niceties as cut and paste, GPS, A2DP won't tickle.
Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it. Anything that can be addressed with a software upgrade... but isn't... and is touted as a "new feature" on a "pro" model will completely defeat the purpose of the entire platform, which is still in its infancy. It wouldn't go over well.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it. Anything that can be addressed with a software upgrade... but isn't... and is touted as a "new feature" on a "pro" model will completely defeat the purpose of the entire platform, which is still in its infancy. It wouldn't go over well.
I'm not a mac guy, but I do see the differences between the macbook and the macbook pro. Usually they're just size and hardware. I doubt if the iPhone pro will get bigger, but I could see it with the two camera lenses and a better camera for still pics. I hope it won't be too much nicer than the original because I'm not exactly sure yet whether I would run out and buy one if I don't have 3G yet in my area.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Like the bifurcated system we have now with the iMac and Mac Pro. Everyone is pining for a system like the iMac, but having expansion capabilities like the Mac Pro.

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Like the bifurcated system we have now with the iMac and Mac Pro. Everyone is pining for a system like the iMac, but having expansion capabilities like the Mac Pro.
i wonder if Apple cares about us though? would they give us money if we trade in our phones? Do they want to piss all of us off again?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I wish I could say that they did. But, in the end they are a businesss whose goal is to develop and market a product for the purpose of making money.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I look at it like the ipod touch. It'll run the same software and may have a slightly different look with a few added features here and there.

Wow, lots of 3G iPhone threads popping up recently. Kinda making me excited. I just hope it does come out in June like everyone is predicting. I don't know if I can wait that long just to be disappointed for a 4th quarter launch.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just for the record, despite the fact that I probably will not upgrade for quite some time, I really hope Apple crams as much new hardware as they can into a <$600 phone. They need to compete, and this industry moves faster than any they've entered before.

But to put arbitrary software limitations on V1 in order to delineate a product line is beyond a thumb in the nose to early adopters, it would just be platform suicide, IMO.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I completely agree with you. :)

I wasn't an early adopter, and all I can say is I've heard about the pain that was incurred. But, just because we wave Apple's flag, that alone will not guarantee preferential treatment. To Apple, we are only numbers.

To be an early adopter now means to take on a lot of personal risk. Time, money, etc., for the honor of being first on the block means a lot. But, make no mistake, it means a lot only to us.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'm not a mac guy, but I do see the differences between the macbook and the macbook pro. Usually they're just size and hardware.
Well first of all, the Macbook and Macbook Pro look totally different. Macbooks are black or white plastic on the outside meanwhile the macbook pros are aluminum.

Secondly, what separates any computers/laptops from each other besides size and hardware?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Well first of all, the Macbook and Macbook Pro look totally different. Macbooks are black or white plastic on the outside meanwhile the macbook pros are aluminum.

Secondly, what separates any computers/laptops from each other besides size and hardware?
Price tag and possibly prestige. Do you want to tell someone you own a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro. :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, I think there will be significant hardware upgrades (screen, processor, storage, etc), butthe software will be mostly the same. I say this because Apple will wat to give us iPhone1 users enough reasons to buy the new one, and upgrading software-only features would be retarded to incude on one and not the other.