So it looks like I'm having surgery on Monday...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Looks like I get to go under the knife on Monday November 3rd to repair my shoulder.
Long story a little shorter, Back in the Spring, I was helping load some metal fixtures onto a truck. I don't remember any immediate pain or anything, but when we finished, I couldn't even hold a pencil in front of me. Since it happened at work, I had to go to their doctor approved by their insurance company and after 2 months of physical therapy, he said I could go back to regular duty.
Skip forward 2 months and on September 4 or 5th, I was reaching up for an empty 5 gallon kerosene can ( I work in the merchandising department for our companies. our team designs how the product fits on the shelves) and I felt a slight pinch. No big deal I thought.
I waited over the weekend and when it didn't look like it was going away, I informed HR again and back to the doctor I went.
This time, they did an Arthrogram MRI, where they shoot dye into the area and then use the MRI to see any damage. It took over 45 minutes to get the dye into my shoulder. Not painful, but you can feel everything, all the tugging and pushing.
The MRI came back and showed that I tore the tendon under where the collar bone meets the shoulder, and pulled the top portion of my rotator cuff off where it attaches to my bicep tendon. All from lifting metal fixtured into a truck.
So on Monday at 7AM, they are going to arthroscopicly re-attach the rotator cuff and stich together the tear in the tendon. He said it should take about an hour and a half.
I hope this will be the beginning of the end of this whole ordeal. It sucks the big wet one to have my shoulder ache constantly, and be unable to lift anything over 6 pounds with that arm. I can barely wash my right side since it barely allows me the reach. damn thing pops all the time too. And not the good kind of pop where everything feels better either. The bad kind where you are a little worse off than you were before.

Wish me luck.

"...What a drag it is getting old." -Rolling Stones

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
surgery sucks, I know. Your in my prayers for a quick recovery. Keep me updated, alright man?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here are some pics of where the injury is supposed to be. The first pic actually shows what I should expect with repairing the tear in the tendon.

Shoulder1.jpg

The second pic shows where the bicep tendon attaches. This is the "big part" of the surgery. He's going to tack ( litterally) up through the bicep tendon and then the rotator cuff. don't know where it all attaches to after that, but that should give you an idea.

Shoulder2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ew... sounds messy, Hawk. Sorry to hear you have to go through all that. The bright side is that it happened at work, right? Full comp? Paid time off? All the goodies?

May it be quick and painless, and may you get a few nice pills to make the next couple weeks sail by :)

S

Starry

Will be in my thoughts hun... Please keep us posted and let us know you're doing wonderfully :)

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Sucks. I just had Knee surgery in July. Torn ACL, tore both miniscus, and torn LCL. At least one full year for full recovery. I hate it. iPhone provided me with plenty of entertainment while laid up and out of my mind on pain meds. Good luck!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thanks for all the kind thoughts and well wishes. Just wanted to let everyone know what was going on just in case I am not online that week.
Here's the sick part of the whole thing. I started vacation today. Not going anywhere...cant really afford to. But I get my surgery in the middle of it. Yay!...not. I expect to return to work at the end of my vacation, unless told otherwise. I won't be able to do much, but the easier I make it on work, the easier they will make it for me.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
after surgery it will never be the same, ever.. sucks..

good luck and make sure you do all the physical therapy and then some ! even if you feel you are good to go, do it ! like i said before, you will never be the same after surgery but you can get close...

good luck again.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Hope you have a speedy recovery Hawk. A few Chinese herbs will help with this before and after surgery, might be worth a try, Ginseng, Astragalus, and Frame builder for tendons, good luck to you.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hawk I hope you have a very speedy recovery. Surgery is never a fun thing and the recovery is often the worse but just take it easy and you will hopefully be 100% again in no time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Ouch.. surgery, not fun. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery, and keep us posted.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Sorry you have to go through this:(, I hope all goes well.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Some how I missed this thread. Hoping the best for you Hawk and a speedy recovery. It will be worth it to be able to have full use of your arm again.
We will be thinking of you on Monday. Best wishes.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I also missed this thread. Been busy with my kids and not on here as much. I hope you have a quick recovery!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
thanks everyone. The big day looms closer and closer, and I'm getting a bit apprehensive. The only time I have ever been knocked out is to have my wisdom teeth removed and an endoscopy down my throat.
This is going to be the first time in my 39 years that I am going to be completely anestitized to have someone do major cutting on me.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
thanks everyone. The big day looms closer and closer, and I'm getting a bit apprehensive. The only time I have ever been knocked out is to have my wisdom teeth removed and an endoscopy down my throat.
This is going to be the first time in my 39 years that I am going to be completely anestitized to have someone do major cutting on me.
I had a sinuplasty whe I was 16 and I was completely anesthetized. It was a rather "pleasant" experience for lack of a better word. It will really be over before you know it, as cliche as that sounds. I remember her saying that I would be groggy and then the next thing I remember is that I was awake in the hospital room.

My surgery of course wasn't anything compared to yours.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I can relate to the wisdom teeth and endoscopy-I have had both. Plus my tonsils and gallbladder out. :( I hate surgery!