So Jealous of Treos Videoplaying Capacity I saw Today

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Checked out the new Treo (Cebtrum..or whatever It's called) while walking around.
Went to a site that posts various videos everyday and it played various video types with perfect clarity (on that tiny screen it has).
If course my iPhone doesn't play any of them....which really struck me....that I have a leading multimedia device with the best screen/resolution in the industry with SUCH limited video play capacity and if course no video recording.
Ah well, I eagerly await V2....unless a device with comparable interface rolls around in which case I'll be jumping ship!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
If there were ever a time I hope Apple is reading these post it's time's like these with these little bits of information and the thread on the tilt, etc...

Hell, I'm thinking of making one up myself...:p

Aug 11, 2007
just out of curiosity, is it impossible for the video playing issues to be addressed with further updates...or third party software?

P.s. This is a serious question

Jul 1, 2007
Checked out the new Treo (Cebtrum..or whatever It's called) while walking around.
Went to a site that posts various videos everyday and it played various video types with perfect clarity (on that tiny screen it has).
If course my iPhone doesn't play any of them....which really struck me....that I have a leading multimedia device with the best screen/resolution in the industry with SUCH limited video play capacity and if course no video recording.
Ah well, I eagerly await V2....unless a device with comparable interface rolls around in which case I'll be jumping ship!

I have had no problem with video. Currently I have the Trasformers movie loaded.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I have had no problem with video. Currently I have the Trasformers movie loaded.
He's talking about video RECORDING.
i had it on my Treo. The image quality was lousy. The sound was a lot worse. A minute or two would swallow most of the memory I had left on the device. Recording directly to the card was not worth it (because of quality).

Jul 1, 2007
He's talking about video RECORDING.
i had it on my Treo. The image quality was lousy. The sound was a lot worse. A minute or two would swallow most of the memory I had left on the device. Recording directly to the card was not worth it (because of quality).
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Sep 5, 2007
just out of curiosity, is it impossible for the video playing issues to be addressed with further updates...or third party software?

P.s. This is a serious question

If your talking about the "video playing issue" meaning that you cant view viral video webpages...
Then yes. A Safari update could totally let us watch web videos.
Then the viral webpages could build iPhone ready websites like iPhone.facebook.com.

however if you meant by "video playing issue" that you can't record video then the other posts were right where it isn't possible for an update to handle what would be a software as well as intricate physical upgrade.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm talking about basic video playback...avi, win, mov, file etc file types
.mov videos play on iPhone (at least in Safari. They have to be 10megs or less).
.mov were the only types of videofiles available for the Mac for many years.
There's nothing basic about .avi and Windowsmv files for Macs. AVI's have just started being supported by Quicktime (PRO) not too long ago, and not all of them. Some require doctoring to play. Some don't play at all. I need a special plug-in to play wmv files on my MacPro. I don't think we'll see those formats supported by the iPhone any time soon.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
You could be talking about SprintTV. I recently did a video demo of it on EverythingCentro (by the way, the new Palm is a Centro). Provides a good number of channels. There were some minor buffering issues, but overall it's a nice value add since most have a data package. It's also inexpensive, as their ultimate bundle is $25. Even the SprintTV premier is priced at only $20.