So my phone apparently died this afternoon...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
This morning I logged into the AT&T site, and I changed my account from the regular plan with 200 text to the plan with 1500 text.
That was about 10:30 or so this morning.
Around 4:15 this afternoon, I watched my signal strength slowly get weaker and weaker till it said no service.
I tried to do a Hard reset. Mistake. I get the emergency service screen with connect to iTunes.
So I get home, and call AT&T. apparently, even though I selected the correct account upgrade, I somehow was in the 3G category instead of the original iPhone setup. The nice lady I spoke with made the correction to my account and asked me to reboot. My phone can be seen by iTunes, but is having problems with the sim card. after the reboot, same problem as before, so I apparently I need a new sim card.

Updates to follow......

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Not good!

What will a new SIM card do?

This morning I logged into the AT&T site, and I changed my account from the regular plan with 200 text to the plan with 1500 text.
That was about 10:30 or so this morning.
Around 4:15 this afternoon, I watched my signal strength slowly get weaker and weaker till it said no service.
I tried to do a Hard reset. Mistake. I get the emergency service screen with connect to iTunes.
So I get home, and call AT&T. apparently, even though I selected the correct account upgrade, I somehow was in the 3G category instead of the original iPhone setup. The nice lady I spoke with made the correction to my account and asked me to reboot. My phone can be seen by iTunes, but is having problems with the sim card. after the reboot, same problem as before, so I apparently I need a new sim card.

Updates to follow......

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Wow all that trouble just because you changed your text message plan. What an inconvenience!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, he has been having troubles before the changing of plans, if i am not mistaken.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Leave it to AT&T. Unfortunately, AT&T will punt you over the Apple Store. They will either give you a new SIM card to activate or a replacement iPhone.

This is very troubling, Hawk, because it shows that the carrier's incompetence can brick our phones. I'm confident there will be a happy ending, but not after they take you through a knot hole. :mad:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, back from the AT&T store, and I have a new SIM card. They said that I have to go through the entire activation process again, but I should be fine.
Here's the funny part. i tested my SIM in my wife's phone right before leaving for AT&T, and it worked fine.
I have my fingers, toes, eyes and even my "boys" crossed hoping that this works. Otherwise it's back to AT&T at lunch tomorrow.
Restoring right now....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, it looks like my wifi, and obviously my cellular components are fried.
Now I am calling Apple. My phone is out of warranty (purchased on 7/12/07), so I doubt they are going to do anything except offer me a new phone...

for either $199 or $299

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
that doesn't make any sense. Why would the sim card have anything to do with a hardware malfunction?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Poor Hawk. Dude, your poor phone was hit with the "shitty stick" back at the factory. You've had far worse symptoms than anyone with any given firmware. I really feel for you that your phone is out of warranty now, because you've dealt with it all during its warranty period. I only hope this situation resolves itself the best it can and you finally get the properly-working gem you so deserve!

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Well, it looks like my wifi, and obviously my cellular components are fried.
Now I am calling Apple. My phone is out of warranty (purchased on 7/12/07), so I doubt they are going to do anything except offer me a new phone...

for either $199 or $299
will they not let you send it in for repair? I'm wondering, because if my v1 dies I just assumed they would let me pay 250 for a repair. If not, I better go buy a back up on craigslist.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
will they not let you send it in for repair? I'm wondering, because if my v1 dies I just assumed they would let me pay 250 for a repair. If not, I better go buy a back up on craigslist.
It wouldn't make sense to repair it for 250 when a new 3G 8GB is 199. even with the higher data plan.

I actually got the phone to work JB'ing it. but there is no signal from wiFi or cell network. I have an appointment to see a genius tonight, and we shall see what happens.

Now here is a question I am wondering if anyone can answer. If I buy Apple Care right now, would they not replace my phone if I brought it in tonight?

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Now here is a question I am wondering if anyone can answer. If I buy Apple Care right now, would they not replace my phone if I brought it in tonight?
My understanding it(Apple care) has to be bought within the one year period. Sorry Hawk, it looks like a new phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My understanding it(Apple care) has to be bought within the one year period. Sorry Hawk, it looks like a new phone.
The funny thing is, it will let me buy the Applecare. So, if I buy it, then it's worth nothing?

*EDIT* I just called 800 My Apple, and they confirmed that you have to buy Apple Care within the first year. Looks like I am going 3G

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, after doing a bit of pricing on the cost to repair my phone versus buying a new one, and it was simply cheaper to buy the new one.
So I canceled my appointment with the Genius, and went to the AT&T store down the street. The guy i spoke with last night was there today, and he put me on their list after I told him that it didn't work with the new sim.
This cute little cs person named Shannon helped me and I got a white 3g 16 gb phone.
I noticed a few minutes ago that it already has about 3.5 hours of usage on it, and I watched her break the seal on the package. Anyone else notice this?
Anyway, I spent another 300 on the iPhone, and I have cases and docks I can no longer use...without a little finess from my dremel.
The original phone is going to be jailbroken so that it can be functional as a video ipod/game phone. No connectivity. Then, if the wife doesn't want it, I'll put it on Craigs list for $200 or so.

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Sorry man but good luck with the new one. Please be sure to post up your impressions of V1 vs. 3G. I'm still debating, my V1 is working fine but still in the "I need the latest" fog.