So no 3G...how fast is the connection on the iP?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just wondering how fast the wifi connection will be on the iPhone.

56k or faster?
Just as fast as your wireless router. Most 802.11g routers provide wireless data rates of about 54Mbps.

An old 802.11b router might only give you 11Mbps. and I think 802.11n gives you even faster speeds than 802.11g. So you could get a variety of speeds depending on the wifi signal you find.

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
My experience with my Cingular 8125 is it varies by the time of day. During certain times of the day it is pretty slow, while early in the morning and late at night it is ok. I would never classify it as impressive either way though, especially for $39.99, it is a rip off for sure but basically no other choice.

I was referring to their edge network, sorry. By the way I find myself using their network most all of the time when using my phone as I always carry my laptop and use it wherever I can use wifi and most of the time when I use my phone to access the internet wifi isn't available anyway, kinda the whole purpose for me for paying another $40 per month is the convenience of using my phone when my laptop isn't an option.

jordan

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Oklahoma
didn't someone say that they were working on the edge network to make it faster? anyone know how fast it is going to be when they get done?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
My experience with my Cingular 8125 is it varies by the time of day. During certain times of the day it is pretty slow, while early in the morning and late at night it is ok. I would never classify it as impressive either way though, especially for $39.99, it is a rip off for sure but basically no other choice.

I was referring to their edge network, sorry.
but he asked about WIFI and not EDGE speeds.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Just wondering how fast the wifi connection will be on the iPhone.

56k or faster?
I think it will depend on how you are connected to your internet provider. That will be the bottleneck.

Let's say you're in a coffee shop that has a 54Mbps "g" WiFi. But it's hooked up to a 6Mbps cable modem.

The fastest effective download speed you'll have on your iPhone will be 6Mbps.

As for the iPhone itself, Apple's website says it supports 802.11 b/g. But not n.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think it will depend on how you are connected to your internet provider. That will be the bottleneck.

Let's say you're in a coffee shop that has a 54Mbps "g" WiFi. But it's hooked up to a 6Mbps cable modem.

The fastest effective download speed you'll have on your iPhone will be 6Mbps.

As for the iPhone itself, Apple's website says it supports 802.11 b/g. But not n.
That's true about the cable or dsl modems, but regardless it'll be much faster than you could ever expect on just the EDGE network.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
That's true about the cable or dsl modems, but regardless it'll be much faster than you could ever expect on just the EDGE network.
Absolutely. Any sense for what the effective speed of EDGE is in Mbps? I thought I saw it in another thread...

here ya go... they're upgrading from an old minimum of 40 to 80kbps, with a theoretical limit of 200 kbps.

Hmmm. That 6Mbps cable modem is 30x faster.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
The 2 thinks that will in reality limit the data throughput the most are the speed of the internet connection that is attached to the WiFi point, and, I think more so, the processing capability of the iPhone to digest that data.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Absolutely. Any sense for what the effective speed of EDGE is in Mbps? I thought I saw it in another thread...
I think that I get ~40-50kbs (Metro Detroit). Supposedly they are supposed to be about doubling that with their EDGE upgrades (EDGE is actually capable of >200kbs, IIRC)