So of those that upgraded to iOS 5

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Hawk, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

So of those that upgraded to iOS5, who still likes iCloud?
    I am asking because there is a very small amount of what is does I find appealing and the rest I find a bit too "out there". I want my data, files, and media on my phone, not hanging out on some server somewhere. Especially with the current 3G speeds.
    I have a dropbox and box accounts, and I hardly use them ever. OTA is a bit over-rated in my book, but I wanted to see what others have to say about it.

2. rollinfromhell

Gold

I haven't used it.. No interest. I did have some before, but realizing i can just wirelessly sync it to my iTunes, there's really no need..

3. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah, not really using it either. I use dropbox for my files/pictures, but haven't messed with PhotoStream yet. I plan on learning more about PhotoStream to try it out though. I saw on my ATV that I can use the photos from PhotoStream for my screensaver, which may be kinda cool.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

My MobileMe is working about 90% now. It is never 100%. I am a little bit leery of jumping to another "cloud" right now. I will wait until the dust settles. I have to eventually do it, but I am procrastinating hoping to hear that it is a little more reliable than what we had before.

5. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Haven't used it, don't plan to. I'm happy with Dropbox for files and yahoo for mail and google for calendar.

And all of those will still work for me if I decide to jump to an Android or windows phone someday.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I use the cloud for back up but I also back up at iTunes
    My storage is getting close to eing full and I only have ipad2 and iPhone 4s on it.
    I like the photo stream but wish we could ecide what photos get added (or at least delete some off)
    I say that beause let's say I took a Siri fun shot to post here I really do not need it on my ipad which I run the pictureframe. Now I move newest pics to a folder first and then run the pics from there. Annoying!
    Overall everything is going to go streaming/virtual. Data will is becoming very valuble. Cloud is going to be were we head in the future. Sounds scary specially when Goverment talks about cyper attacks.

7. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

iCloud is my favorite part of the new functionality released by Apple. The reason is that it allows my iP4s and my Fiancé's as well as my iPad 2 and Apple Tv to be in sync for music and photos without us having to think about it. I love being able to check the photostream at timeS when we are separate to see her pictures. She likes seeing mine as well.

We had our engagement party this weekend and it's awesome that we both have pictures taken on either phone.

Also wifi sync is a time saver allowing my PC to update each night when I plug in and backing up to the cloud gives me a good piece of mind.

8. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm all about GMail [Exchange setup] and Dropbox. I desperately tried iCloud (I use to pay for Mobile ME), and to me, there simply are too many issues...

And further more, if something simply works (GMail\Dropbox), no point in trying to fix it, right?

9. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Ditto. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

10. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I don't even see a valid use for iCloud. I take random pics all the time to post on the web or use at work in training or to get the point across. Why in the world do I want those pics sent to every device I have?

11. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Don't get me wrong - I agree to some extent. I feel this pain when I screenshot my iPhone 4S and days later the slideshow on my TV from my AppleTV (Photostream) passes a screen shot'd iPhone 4S settings page. I would not say there is not a valid use, more like a lack of some critical features - being able to decide what goes to the could, what doesn't on a case by case basis. Oh, and don't forget the ability to delete individual photos. But I am willing to look past the unwanted pictures for now and use it for the pictures I do want.

12. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

For me I have no desire and see no need to have the same pictures on all of my devices. I have my pics, the wife has hers, and I don't want them taking up space on the iPads. Pics we want for the family album get sent to Flickr where they show up on the Apple TV and are available on the iPads, pics I use for work or are related to the Jeep builds I do or are silly ones for posting on the net go to Photobucket.

Work uses gmail so no need to use icloud there. Do I really need to sync my contacts to the cloud? 5 gig won't store all my iWork files so that's out.

I do like how when I use Siri to make an appointment on my phone, it is automatically on the iPads.

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, I only have an iPhone and if I get an iPad, it won't be till after the next one is released.
    I think the general consensus is that iCloud is over-kill for a lot of people and a little ahead of it's time.
    I still haven't upgraded to iOS5 and at this point, I don't see a need. There is nothing offered that comes across as a "significant upgrade" for how I used my phone and how I have it setup.
    And no offense to those that upgraded to the 4S, but I am DEFINITELY glad I didn't upgrade to that either. Sounds like a whole other bunch of problems that I just don't need.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I paid $99 a year for Mobile Me for the past couple years, and although it had less functionality than iCloud, I thought the push contacts, bookmarks, calendars, etc. made it worth the cost. I orginally bought it for Find My iPhone (back when it was only available to Mobile Me subscribers). So yeah, I really like iCloud because I get the same services for free as well as the new additional sevices.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No offense taken, but it's not an "insignificant upgrade," IMO. The increased browsing speed alone makes it worth it for me.

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yeah, but the battery issues and other little bugs kind of add up. And i know that most of the battery issues have been cleared up with the latest release of iOS, it's still not complete.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's just a bug, though. It can be fixed with a software update. I don't look at that as a valid reason not to upgrade the device.

18. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

The best thing about icloud is icloud backup! I never have to deal with iTunes. I also like the OTA update instead of plugging into iTunes and taking at least an hour and half if not more. For comparison's sake the OTA update was about a half hour and my device was usable during the download of the delta update.

19. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

But, it wasn't fully fixed with this newest update, and the battery is just 1 of several issues with the new model. It's not for me.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Software bugs are part of life with all new cell phones; I don't let them stop me. I just apply the updates when available.