So they aren't naming it iPad 3 or iPad HD, just new iPad

Christopher Meinck

Administrator
Administrator
Sep 13, 2008
A bit surprising, but makes plenty of sense. I guess Apple decided against calling it the iPad 3 or the iPad HD. Instead they had us all fooled and went with the new iPad. I don't the 'new' part, which seems sort of odd. How long before they do the same thing with the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Is it just me or are you disappointed in the new offering? I really expected an 8 mega pixal camera, especially since they didn't go A6 or Quad Core.

Coolstrategist

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
A bit surprising, but makes plenty of sense.
No that does not make sense.

I suspect it will have a name. I doubt when the next one is released this model will still be referred to as the "new ipad". It has to have a basic name of reference.

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
Because it was over hyped by everyone before its release you're now all disappointed its not named iPad HD, or 3 and it hasn't got 128GB. you find this every time. Do what I do and don't listen to anything until it comes out. Then your not shocked or surprised either way.

It'll be exactly the same for the supposed iPhone 5! It'll have this it'll be called that. Just sit back and wait.

iHolophyte

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Oh gawd, I really hope people just call it iPad 3 instead of The New iPad. If iPad 3 doesn't catch on quickly, people will start referring to the next iPad (the iPad 4) as the iPad 3, and it's bad enough having the sixth iPhone be referred to as the iPhone 5.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Retarded name, 'nuff said!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
And they call it "The New iPad"
Yup this is the new name lol
Threads merged.

A bit surprising, but makes plenty of sense.
It doesn't make sense to me. I think Apple has gotten lazy with product names. If this is really what they are calling it, I think it's the worst iDevice name so far. New, magic, amazing and miracle are four of the worst words you could possibly use in a product name, IMO. The often think 'scam' when I hear about a product with one of the latter three in its name. Apple's Magic Mouse is not magical and this iPad will not be new next year.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Another example of poor decisions. I wonder if this is an indication of the next iPhone name.
Hey which iPad do you have? The new one. Lame.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm in the minority, but I think this is a good move by Apple. If someone asks, I think "new iPad" is sufficient. If not, then 3rd generation or iPad 2012.

I'd be willing to gamble this marks the end of the iPhone numbers naming. The iPhone 5, technically 6th generation iPhone could be just "the new iPhone".

People know what's what... I don't see there being confusion.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm in the minority, but I think this is a good move by Apple. If someone asks, I think "new iPad" is sufficient. If not, then 3rd generation or iPad 2012.

I'd be willing to gamble this marks the end of the iPhone numbers naming. The iPhone 5, technically 6th generation iPhone could be just "the new iPhone".

People know what's what... I don't see there being confusion.
But you gotta admit that the name is problematic for next year when the new new one comes out and the old new one becomes old. That being said, I'm pretty sure everyone will just call it the iPad 3 even though Apple isn't.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
But you gotta admit that the name is problematic for next year when the new new one comes out and the old new one becomes old. That being said, I'm pretty sure everyone will just call it the iPad 3 even though Apple isn't.
Not really. Apple won't stock the "old one". If you walk in to buy an iPad, you'll have color/size/wireless.

I do agree that it can be confusing if they stock the iPad 2.

iPad 2 > iPad right?

mabbent

Oct 8, 2011
They don't add numbers to each new/update for iMacs or iBooks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not really. Apple won't stock the "old one". If you walk in to buy an iPad, you'll have color/size/wireless.

I do agree that it can be confusing if they stock the iPad 2.

iPad 2 > iPad right?
This can work. They can just call the iPad 4 'The New iPad 2' or 'The Newer iPad'.