So..they upgraded EDGE? Coulda Suprised Me...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dolo

Jun 29, 2007
NYC
Ladies, Gents,

Hope all is well.

So I've enjoyed getting used to this thing and typing is getting better but my hands cramp trying to type with 2 hands because the lady is too slippery and svelte. probably something e-grips can fix.

In any case - I've been loading http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed and running the 100 and 200kb file tests. I am averaging 70kbits/sec. My high was 109kbits/sec. I've been reading about people over the last couple of days getting up to 225 kbits/sec on EDGE (before iPhone) due to the rumored upgrade of the network.

Am I going crazy here or is everyone getting 70kbits/sec or so on their iPhones?

I am based in dead center midtown NYC with full bars.

Lastly - another terribly annoying thing: if you lose signal (elevator or subway) it takes at least 15 seconds to reconnect to the service. However, even when it shows bars - I've had numerous "Call Failed" notices.

A little peeved - but the device is pretty damn innovative and wifi is "butterz" on this thing.

Please share!

Regards,
dolo

threed82

Jun 18, 2007
Southern Maine, im getting lows of 50kbit/s and high's of 130kbit/s

Usually just over 100kbit/s id say for an average though, still, not TOO terrible. i can definatly live with 100,

On the other hand, the first time i ran the 1mb file on wifi (at home) i hit like 780kbit/s... but now it keeps telling me to choose a larger file, lol... I guess thats a good thing

dolo

Jun 29, 2007
NYC
im getting around 190kbps for the most part on EDGE.
Disco, where are you located?

I did a reset (hold down the home + top left key together) and it seems that my speeds have bumped a bit and it also seems that I have less volatility between signal going from 5 bars to none, etc.

Not scientific...may be complete coincidence or a network affect.

Regards,
dolo

dolo

Jun 29, 2007
NYC
mbhockey - where in nyc are you?

I've noticed better speeds out in Williamsburg then I do in most parts of the city. I live in midtown.

I hit my highest speed ever @ 145 kbit/sec today, but I also hit my lowest at 20 kbit/sec.

I can't believe vzw passed this sucker up. Oye.

dolo