So what am I doing wrong with the latest JB?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by verbalj, May 29, 2012.

1. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

I've been jailbreaking since the 3GS on 3.1.3. For whatever reason, however, I'm just not getting 5.1.1 to work.

Here are the details:

I was on 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4. I updated iTunes to its latest version (10.6.x). I backed up my iPhone in iTunes, then updated it to 5.1.1 based on the backup I created.

Once the update was complete, I tried jailbreaking with Absinthe 2.0.2., but was running into the problems you've seen elsewhere: lockdown, device is not supported, or the windows special of "absinthe has stopped working."

In terms of starting anew with Absinthe, I already did it, like re-downloading it, running it as Admin, making it XP-compatible, extracting it to a different location, putting the .exe in the original folder, etc., etc.

What do I have to do? Restore back to 5.1.1 stock and leave the phone as new and then jailbreak? If that's the case, then after the jailbreak is [hopefully] successful, I would want to restore back to that backup so I can get my content back -- but wouldn't that erase the jailbreak?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You can restore back to 5.1.1 and leave phone as new and then jailbreak. You can restore from backup before the jailbreak, all that puts back is settings. Then once you jailbreak you can re-sync everything back onto your iPhone.

Aside from all of that, have you tried jailbreaking from another computer?

3. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

So I can do two things or am I just reading it wrong? 1- Restore back to 5.1.1 and leave it as a new phone and then jailbreak and 2- Restore back to 5.1.1, set it up from the backup, then jailbreak?

Yes, I tried on a different computer on a different OS (mine is a Vista, the other was 7 -- both were tried with and without compatibility mode set). It didn't work either :(

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

There is also Sn0wbreeze. You could give that one a try. But yes you can either restore to 5.1.1 and jailbreak and then re-sync everything from iTunes (music, apps etc). Or you can restore back to 5.1.1, set it up from backup and then jailbreak.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/sn0wbreeze/

greenpois0n.com/

#4 MoneyMaker79, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  5. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Ah! I think that's where I was confused. I thought restoring to 5.1.1 > jailbreaking > and syncing would NOT put back all my info/settings. I thought it would just create a new sync point.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Well, make sure you do a backup in iTunes before restoring. Then syncing will sync all music and apps back to your iPhone/device.

7. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Understood. Thanks for the tips. I don't know how I didn't run into this earlier considering I've been jailbreaking since 3.1.3.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Restoring the firmware and restoring a backup are two different things. It is highly recommended that you restore to factory settings before jailbreaking.

1. Backup in iTunes (skip since you have already done this).
    2. Restore to 5.1.1 in iTunes. Set it up as a new device, not from backup.
    3. Jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0.2.
    4. Apply your backup. This will not restore the firmware or unjailbreak the phone. It just puts your settings back on the phone - including settings for apps you will sync on in the next step (see screenshots below). This step only takes a few minutes.
    5. Sync your apps and media.

How to apply your backup:
    Untitled-2-1.png

ScreenShot2011-09-01at22620AM.png

9. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Thanks for clarifying. The pics are just icing on the cake ;) (y)

I'm going to try this when I get home from work, which will hopefully be within the hour.

10. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Worked like a charm! Jailbreaking as a new phone took about two minutes. When I tried it earlier based on the backup, it was stuck for several minutes before quitting unexpectedly or any other error message.

Thanks all!

11. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I think the first is where I was getting confused. Normally I could use Sn0wbreeze or redsn0w after I had already backed up and restored. Will now have to do this and see if it works. Been a week now without my BITE and i'm starting to get withdrawls.

#11 PinkBanana, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  12. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I'm such a doofus. I was in such a hurry to jailbreak that I clicked restore from backup not restore as new.

13. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

It's always the simple things that trip us up...

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely. We think there has to be more to it, but in the end it's very simple. (y)

15. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Here's a similar question: with the iPhone out of the way, I'm currently working on the iPad 2. I just finished updating its firmware to 5.1.1 in iTunes.

After it rebooted, I wasn't given an option to set it up as a new device, like the iPhone offered. Instead, it just brought me to the homescreen.

I haven't even attempted to jailbreak it yet, but I would assume Absinthe would fail again simply because it's not set up as "new device."

How would I do that? "Erase all content and settings" etc. in Settings? Would restoring from a backup (like Europa mentioned earlier) bring everything back? I'm only asking since I didn't "Erase all content and settings" when upgrading the iPhone (probably because the iPhone does that on its own when it's set up as a new device).

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Usually updating the firmware wouldn't need to offer you to set it up as a new device. Restoring the iPad should give you the same options you would get for the iPhone, set up as new or use backup. I don't use the erase all content and settings. Restoring from a backup would restore any settings you had. Then you can re sync all your music and apps to the iPad. Just be very cautious that you make a backup of everything, including contacts, photos and anything else. Way too many times people restore without creating a backup, and they lose all their photos and everything.

After this you should be able to successfuly Jailbreak using Absinthe. I'm not sure why you would have to set it up as a new device though. I always use my backup after restoring, and then I jailbreak.

17. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

First and foremost, I have the backup. I just checked to see it in iTunes and on the computer itself lol.

With the iPhone and Absinthe, it's been well documented that jailbreaking the device when it's "new" helps with the jailbreak process.

After I upgraded the iPhone's firmware to 5.1.1, and was asked if to set it up using the backup (thus putting everything back on the phone), every time I attempted to jailbreak, Absinthe would always fail.

That's when I created this thread and Europa suggested what she suggested and then the jailbreak worked on the first try.

I thought the iPad would present me with the same option (setting it up as new or not), but it didn't. Instead, after updating the firmware, the iPad did its own thing, then rebooted and brought me to the homescreen. No options about setting it up as new.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yeah, updating is not the same as restoring, thereforee it just reboots the iPad to passcode screen. As far as restoring as new or using a backup, it's really just personal preference. I haven't set up as a new device in a long time. All my jailbreaks have gone very smoothly the first time.

19. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

I take it back. I hit restore again in iTunes and then when it rebooted, it gave me the option to set it up as new. I did. It jailbroke successfuly. We're all good.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Congratulations! Glad everything is good now! Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. :)