So what are you gonna do with your old iPhone?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

So, the 3g iPhone will be out on 11th July, and no doubt many of you will go out and get it. But what will you do then with your first iPhone?

My dad and me will probably give ours to my mum and my brother.

Thanks,
Arran

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
good question. after the 2.0 firmware has been hacked, i'll probably end up jailbreaking and unlocking it so i can use it as a spare phone. until then, it will probably just be an in-home ipod and web browsing device. i was planning on selling it before, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it - it has too much sentimental value for me since i got it on iday and waited in line for it, which is totally geeky, i know... :oops:

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
good question. after the 2.0 firmware has been hacked, i'll probably end up jailbreaking and unlocking it so i can use it as a spare phone. until then, it will probably just be an in-home ipod and web browsing device. i was planning on selling it before, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it - it has too much sentimental value for me since i got it on iday and waited in line for it, which is totally geeky, i know... :oops:
I don't think it's geeky, I waited with my dad for him to get his, and if you look back on www.macbites.co.uk, we're on one of the launch photos for the Trafford Centre, we were at the Genius bar paying. :)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
:eek:I don't see how you guys can part so easily with your iPhone, especially you iDay'ers:sick:
-If I had to give up my old iPhone to upgrade to the 3G edition, Even it were family or my best friend I'd have to sell it to them I could ya kno just give it away:p
-But I guess you guys "Got Money";)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I did not get my phone on iday, but I had to get it traded in for a bubble in the glass. I had to pet it and say a sad goodbye when I got my replacement at the Genius bar.

I am planning on giving v1 to hubby. He will use it to check sports scores.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i got mine on iday... but i decided to go ahead and sell it

listed it on ebay, got $301 for it.. the guy never paid (thank god)

listed it again, cleaned up the add and made it look a little nicer and this time got $360!

the phone is pretty dinged up too, and i did mention that.. and its locked.. so im very happy with $360.. theres deff still a market on ebay for these

now i can buy an 8gb, and take the extra hundred and gamble it away on full tilt! hah

brand new iPhone 3g, and spare gambling money.. YESSSIIIRRRR!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I got mine on iDay as well and will pass it down to my son when I upgrade.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I don't think it's geeky, I waited with my dad for him to get his, and if you look back on www.macbites.co.uk, we're on one of the launch photos for the Trafford Centre, we were at the Genius bar paying. :)
neat! you're famous! ;)

i'm guessing your mom and your brother are excited to inherit your and your dad's iPhones. my husband has a 3-year-old razr and he said he wouldn't want my iPhone to replace it - he says he likes the size of the razr because it's easy to keep it in his pocket, and the iPhone would be too big. what is wrong with him? how can he turn down a free iPhone? there is definitely something wrong with him. :p

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
neat! you're famous! ;)

i'm guessing your mom and your brother are excited to inherit your and your dad's iPhones. my husband has a 3-year-old razr and he said he wouldn't want my iPhone to replace it - he says he likes the size of the razr because it's easy to keep it in his pocket, and the iPhone would be too big. what is wrong with him? how can he turn down a free iPhone? there is definitely something wrong with him. :p
I'm surprised his old razr is still even working. On both of the ones my family used the keypads started malfunctioning. My daughter's "N" directional key quit working and my "3" key started sticking on mine. They were cool in 2005, but I don't think they were manufactured for longevity.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm surprised his old razr is still even working. On both of the ones my family used the keypads started malfunctioning. My daughter's "N" directional key quit working and my "3" key started sticking on mine. They were cool in 2005, but I don't think they were manufactured for longevity.
i totally agree. i'd like to get him a new phone - when i talk to him, i hear this buzzing noise when he talks, regardless of what phone i'm using. my cousin's razr did the same thing, and he finally replaced it. so, i'm a bit selfish in trying to get him a new phone since that noise can get really annoying.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
whenever i get the new iPhone, i will just keep mine and jailbreak and unlock it and keep it as a spare/test phone. ill probably also let my sister use it in the mean time :laugh2:

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I plan on rockin' my V1, until I see what the app store has to offer. If I upgrade I'll just upgrade my businesss line. Picture it.... V1 left front pocket "check" V2 right front pocket "check".

tenashus

Jun 30, 2007
I told my 16 year old daughter that she could have my V1. She is ecstatic, of course. She's been bugging me from iDay to get her one, but couldn't justify it for a teen.

Now I guess I'll break down and get the new one and pass this one on down to her. Hopefully she'll protect it like a baby like I have!

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
neat! you're famous! ;)

My brother is, but my mum says she doesn't want one because they're too complicated?!?! I told her that it's one of the most simple phones around and easy to use!