So what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcmitchell5, Sep 29, 2012.

1. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Do you think Apple will continue on with adding a letter to the next phone and upgrading just a little for the next phone, or do you think they will step it up and bring something totally new? I think one of the main problems that people always complain about is that the iPhone alway "looks" and feels the same as the last. The home screen is always the same and the buttons never change. I know that they upgrade the phone to make things better, but it is always the same phone. I think that the iPhone 5 is amazing and continues to get even better. I really don't see much more they can do to get better, but I am sure they will find something. I just feel that the iPhone staying "the same" is one of the main complaints about it. I just wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts were on the topic.

I want actual thoughts and not people posting just to trash talk.

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I love the iPhone 5 it is tied with the first iPhone as my favorite ever
    I don't care what they will call the next iPhone. I had every model and will upgrade hopefully a year from now again. I may not like all changes but the features I care about got updated. I am happy with the iPhone 5 and am looking for the next iPhone 5s or what ever it will be named

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Is the the first iPhone 5S/6 thread? Already? ;)

I'm thinking that Cook will want a spash of his own making that will look different and have radical feature changes. The clean design that Sir Jony Ive brings to everythingApple will remain. Obviously, just a wild guess on my part.

4. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I agree. The first iPhone was awesome. I really wish I would have kept mine... :/ I just wonder how long Apple can continue the path of great upgrade - small upgrade - maybe big upgrade before people get bored and move on.

5. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

I don't really care what they call it...I just wish that they would wait 2 years to put another one out so that it doesn't force people to break contracts/ pay exuberant fees/ or add lines. This yearly phone is extremely nice but very expensive to keep up with.

Sadly still rocking a blackberry...but for not much longer!
    Loving my iPad 2.

6. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

It doesn't force anybody to do that. That's people themselves. I skipped the original, got the 3G, skipped the 3gs, got the 4 and skipped the 4s. Now I have a 5. That's the choice I make. While I too enjoy better, money factors in. Again they force no one....it's a choice those people make.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

leggz2di4 I do not think you are forced. In many countries you buy the phone full price.
    We have an option. You could buy the phone and not have a contract.

8. nikkisixx102

nikkisixx102 Android Killer
    Bronze

Obviously, he didn't literally mean they force you with whips and chains or something. He still has a blackberry...

9. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

First of all, it's a girl...look at the avatar. And thanks for this, Master of the Obvious. We're just explaining it's a choice some people make.

Is it me or do these new members seem extra volatile?

10. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I just get it every year. The product release cycle is every year. Every time it opens up new customers to sign up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

11. aknightstale41

Gold

Thats probably one of the most intelligent comments ive read in quite awhile. I agree, if Apple put out a phone every 2 years or so it would make it even more special. They could skip the 3gs, 4s, and 5s? and stay with the whole numbers lol. The improvements would seem more dramatic, bigger "wow" factor, and you know your keeping that baby till the end of your contract, no worries about upgrade eligibility...of course that would demand a certain degree of patience :sneaky:

12. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Again...that's the choice you make. That a lot of people make. It's not forced on you and it's not the choice I make. I upgrade every two years with my contract.

13. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

It's like an artist who breaks through in the mainstream, they have a couple of hit songs and then slow down for a little bit feeling content and jaded, then years later they come out with something totally new reinventing themselves. Gotta get down to get back up.

14. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

Obviously I didn't mean force literally, what I meant is more like dazzle our minds with pretty objects that force our minds to purchase everything they put out because we like fancy "toys" every year. And yes although I still have my blackberry (although it is hitting the closest river as of tomorrow -upgrade time) I do have every iPad and MacBook that has been released. Take a joke guys!

Sadly still rocking a blackberry...but for not much longer!
    Loving my iPad 2.

15. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

By incorporating new developments annually and putting them out in a new iteration they may retain some customers that would be drawn off to the latest, greatest supposed "iPhone killer". Apple also gives those customer who want and can afford to the opportunity to enjoy the upgrades sooner. imho

16. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I understand the every 2 years thing, but I also understand they are a company that wants to make money. Putting out a new iPhone every year is an easy way to get some cash flow. They have a massive quota that they want to hit and this is their way of doing so. I just wish they would skip the G's and s' and make a new different (look and inside) phone each year. I think it would have more people break their contracts and pony up the money to get the latest and greatest! I skipped out on the 4s because it wasn't much different than the 4. If it came out looking like the 5 with the same specs... I would have bought it!

I just think its time for Apple to really step it up and create a mind blowing phone. The first edition iPhone blew everyone out of the water. Apple has shown us that they can make a magical product. I think it's time for them to bring phones up another level.

17. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I get that it is my choice but to want a phone released every two years doesn't make sense for Apple. Customers are at varying times on their contracts. They will lose market if they only release a phone every two years. For me this was a much more critical update. The phone design changed (although not a huge deal) and the inclusion of LTE was worth buying out of contract. My phone is so much faster it is ridiculous. To me that is worth it. For my wife it is not and she like you upgrades every 1 1/2 to 2 years when her contract is up.

18. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I get that it is my choice but to want a phone released every two years doesn't make sense for Apple. Customers are at varying times on their contracts. They will lose market if they only release a phone every two years. For me this was a much more critical update. The phone design changed (although not a huge deal) and the inclusion of LTE was worth buying out of contract. My phone is so much faster it is ridiculous. To me that is worth it. For my wife it is not and she like you upgrades every 1 1/2 to 2 years when her contract is up.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I think Apple makes it rather easy to skip generations. With the exception of my 3GS to 4 transition, it's what I've done since the first iPhone. Software updates and just plain good craftsmanship make the hardware more than viable for 2+ years. "S" updates are usually nice, but generally skippable if you're not eligible. I like the rhythm Apple has taken with its updates.

20. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

I have to agree with FlwrPwr (if I spelled that right. LOL) They aren't forcing anyone to get the new phone each year, that's purely a matter of personal choice. I bought an iPad 2 in July 2011 and I didn't see someone from Apple standing here with a gun to my head this past March making me order the new one. Same with the iPhone, I had the 4S and no one made me order the 5! All my purchases have been because I wanted to buy them.

You can't say Apple forces anyone to upgrade, especially since they support the old ones for several years with OS updates.