So what do you think will be on the 3rd gen iPhone?

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Okay well January is close to rolling around and Apple is about to have it's final appearance at MacWorld.

I just saw a video of the Nokia N97. I must say, I'm heavily impressed. In fact, i'm SO impressed that it just might be enough to persuade me to buy it.

Any chance that the 3rd gen iPhone will have a slider keyboard like the N97? That would automatically guarantee at least 1/3rd of smart phone owners, seeing as how one of the biggest complaint I've seen is the touch screen keyboard. Other then that, it essentially has everything now. Only other thing that they can add is probably flash and I can live without it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I tend to agree with a lot of 'the experts' out there who reckon the 3rd gen will be see major improvements. I think we'll see some really significant stuff, both on the hardware / system specs side of things, and in addressing some of the 'Duh - why is that missing' things on the software side.

I would bet on things like: some major battery life improvement, while still managing to beef up its processor / performance; copy&paste, a video app, improved camera; and probably more 'Wish List' items ticked off ...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Reading your post about a possible 3rd gen got me thinking...
-If Apple made an iPhone with a keyboard...what if they released two models the iPhone and the iPhone Pro:eek:;)

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
hypothetical when would said iPhone drop?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I tend to agree with a lot of 'the experts' out there who reckon the 3rd gen will be see major improvements. I think we'll see some really significant stuff, both on the hardware / system specs side of things, and in addressing some of the 'Duh - why is that missing' things on the software side.

I would bet on things like: some major battery life improvement, while still managing to beef up its processor / performance; copy&paste, a video app, improved camera; and probably more 'Wish List' items ticked off ...
I say no to the sliding keyboard. I want one but I just don't see it. I see big changes in the storage capacity. I also think they might redesign the screen layout. Better 3g chip and GPS. Higher resolution on the screen along with a faster processor. Higher capacity battery as with all updated electronics these days. I do see this new one being much more different the the jump from V1 to 3g. That is the reason I haven't upgraded to 3g. It just wasn't enough for me.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
As Mikeozee said the Nokia N97 sure looks sweet but without being subsidized the price will be up there. I think in the next 36 months with the phones that will be adopting Android, phones like the N97,if Palm introduces their 'new' OS phone and what ever Apple does to stay competitive we are going to have a tremendous choice of products.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I hope to GOD that they don't include a slide out keyboard. I can type much faster on the iPhone keyboard than i can of a physical one.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I hope to GOD that they don't include a slide out keyboard. I can type much faster on the iPhone keyboard than i can of a physical one.
Yes, I'll echo that. Having used and owned many smartphones with keyboards, the iPhone is so much better once one gets used to it. Like everything that's different it takes some adapting. Just like my natural keyboard is way better than a regular one.

Video on the next gen is a muct along with a better camera chip.

Copy/paste is essential.

Other than that it's pretty much there already.

Way down the line a 5th gen may incorporate a projector!

iLiam

Dec 18, 2008
Chesterfield
3rd Gen iPhone - I think it will include -

-Bigger choice of colours ( Red, Black, White, Green? )
-Way better camera with Video
-32GB/64GB memory
-Bigger choice of apps as standard
-And generally easier to operate! :laugh2:

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Don't forget video calls. That would solidify their position in my book.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Nike+, support for HSUPA/HSPA+, wireless syncing, full-speed processor (even faster than the 2g touch), a little bit thicker so everybody has to buy new docks, a little bit longer battery life, different backing, louder & stereo speakers (earpiece is left speaker in landscape). June 29th, the 2 year birthday of the v1. $179 for 8 gigs, $279 for 16 gigs, $399 for 32 gigs

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Nike+, support for HSUPA/HSPA+, wireless syncing, full-speed processor (even faster than the 2g touch), a little bit thicker so everybody has to buy new docks, a little bit longer battery life, different backing, louder & stereo speakers (earpiece is left speaker in landscape). June 29th, the 2 year birthday of the v1. $179 for 8 gigs, $279 for 16 gigs, $399 for 32 gigs
I go along with that especially 'a little bit thicker so everybody has to buy new docks' now that really makes sense for everyone's bottom line except us.

edopeno

Dec 11, 2008
What about more memory? How about 1 TB? Choice of colors. Being able to change themes?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think they'll definitely do something about allowing for organizing apps into categories, saving space on home screens etc. Crazy success of the App Store means they'll want to do all they can to let us all of get / buy 850 apps if we really want to :)

Actually, I could see them doing this via an update prior to any 3rd Gen device too ...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I think this is more about realistic expectations of the next hardware revision than a wish list. Software is another story entirely, although it could probably coincide.

I think Steve's one more thing will be that it has a removable back revealing a swappable battery, the SIM slot, and all the FCC/serial numbers, so that the back of the iPhone can be totally devoid of all inscribings and simply have the Apple logo

Dec 15, 2008
It will be a glass transparent shell that doesn't break and the hardware will be so small you can barely see it. It will also have a 50 gb HD with flash support wireless charging and syncing. Don't forget the built in app that will remote start your car.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Same here! Let's have the landscape option, 64GB HDD, multi card reader, larger screen (you don't need that big "Home" button..it could be on the right side!), 5 mpix+ camera on the front / also for video conference, option for hiding the camera lens on the backside...etc.