So what's the big deal about Apple?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blizzard

Aug 3, 2007
OK, I don't get it. I've heard for over a decade how fantastic Apple products are, how they never crash and are generally fool-proof. With integrated hardware and software, there can never be a problem.

Au Contraire!

My iPhone quit on the second day, phone tech support told me to go in and replace it. I made a 2 hour trip to the Apple Store. When I finally got up to the front of the line, I was told to reboot it, and everything would be fine. Fair enough, but why couldn't the phone tech tell me that? ANd why did it die. It has happened again.

Then, it quit receiving email. No reason. And when I re-entered the exact same settings, it stared again.

Now, it won't sync with Yahoo address book, after flawlessly connecting. An upgrade seems to be the catalyst, but it's still not working. When I sync, I have to click through a warning or the sync freezes.

Hey, I've seen this stuff before with 13 years of Windows. So just why do the fanatics think Apple is any better?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
OK, I don't get it. I've heard for over a decade how fantastic Apple products are, how they never crash and are generally fool-proof. With integrated hardware and software, there can never be a problem.

Au Contraire!

My iPhone quit on the second day, phone tech support told me to go in and replace it. I made a 2 hour trip to the Apple Store. When I finally got up to the front of the line, I was told to reboot it, and everything would be fine. Fair enough, but why couldn't the phone tech tell me that? ANd why did it die. It has happened again.

Then, it quit receiving email. No reason. And when I re-entered the exact same settings, it stared again.

Now, it won't sync with Yahoo address book, after flawlessly connecting. An upgrade seems to be the catalyst, but it's still not working. When I sync, I have to click through a warning or the sync freezes.

Hey, I've seen this stuff before with 13 years of Windows. So just why do the fanatics think Apple is any better?
I don't think your iPhone likes you. Somehow it knows. I've got 9 Macs, had 20+ over the years and 1 PC which is gathering dust in the basement near the laundry machine. My iPhone likes me. I know it. I feel it.:laugh2:

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Well... the thing about Apple is that when their products DO fail, they do a lot better job than most companies about making sure that no matter what the outcome, you are happy.

If you couldn't get your phone to work at the Apple store they would have given you a brand new one. They keep you as a customer and you are happy with a shiny new iPhone.

Plus the fact that everything that Apple makes is really easy to use and has a great interface. You can thank Steve Jobs for that.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007

Au Contraire!
Any company that makes that many devices will have some problems; it's impossible for it to be perfect. So expecting perfection is a bit unrealistic to me, especially given the fact that for a 1.0 device, it's pretty tight. Still has some work to do to get it to sync with Outlook calendars, for me, but otherwise it's the perfect device for me.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Apple make good products, top end PC manufacturers make good products.

Ultimately you get what you pay for.

Oh and Macs do crash. Seriously, they do and about as often as a good PC.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Any company that makes that many devices will have some problems; it's impossible for it to be perfect. So expecting perfection is a bit unrealistic to me, especially given the fact that for a 1.0 device, it's pretty tight. Still has some work to do to get it to sync with Outlook calendars, for me, but otherwise it's the perfect device for me.
best exucse so far
Any company that makes that many devices will have some problems;

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I disagree. My iMac's been up for 67 days without a reboot. Can't say the same for my XP machine.
I could with mine. My XP PRO desktop runs like a champ. I'm an IT guy so maybe that is why my stuff doesn't crash even though its a MS product.:)

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Here we go...

I hate getting into comparisons between Apple Mac's and PC's aka Wintel machines.

But I digress, unless you hve worked on them or in a corporate IT environment or school or university then you would understand better.

I will not go into the previous generation Macs.
Do the crash? Yes... As often as pc's? Not ours at least.
I know my name here is Mactech, however I have as many I'd not more MS certs and hardware certs than Apple.

I administrate high end Dell servers as well as Apple Xserves. The uptime for the Apple hardware running OS X server is far better than the Dell or HP servers running Win2k3 server.

Apples just work, true plug and play.

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I hate getting into comparisons between Apple Mac's and PC's aka Wintel machines.

But I digress, unless you hve worked on them or in a corporate IT environment or school or university then you would understand better.

I will not go into the previous generation Macs.
Do the Macs crash? Yes... As often as pc's? Not ours at least.
I know my name here is Mactech, however I have as many If not more MS certs and hardware certs than Apple.

I administrate high end Dell servers as well as Apple Xserves. The uptime for the Apple hardware running OS X server is far better than the Dell or HP servers running Win2k3 server.

Apples just work, true plug and play.

photobyjj

Jul 13, 2007
Apple is lame too.. But dell sucks hard..

Apple has issues man.. I have had my share.. But it really is better. I will save you the tecno garble and just say it has flow and looks and feels right. Ya nothing scentific about it all. iPods and now iPhones mixed with my iMacs have made my irealty much better in ways that ate just plane fun. From cool short cuts to gigs and gigs of music. Apple is the way. I could do with out the high concept store but frys is a mess. Use mac mall and be thankful for choice. I saw a HP commercial the other day. Made me laugh, it was funny.. But no cool commercial is gonna make me buy a zune and vista.

Au Contraire!

Peregrine

Jun 29, 2007
There are 2, and only 2, reasons MAC > WIN-TEL.
They are big ones, though.

Can you buy a Dell Apple? No. Apple controls the hardware, Apple controls the software. Everything works because Apple doesn't have to screw around with 50+ different hard drives, 50 different video cards, 50+ different sound cards.
This is a PRO and a CON. PRO: Apple simply works better and crashes less.
CON: Apple controls all the pricing. If HP/Dell/Toshiba/Gateway made ther own branded Apple machines, prices would start to drop. and problems would rise.

This leads into advantage #2. Since Apple has full control, when you buy, say a Macbook, it isn't outdated in 6 months. Unlike a WinTEL machine that is outdated by the time you open the box...

And the trend continues with the iPhone. NO 3RD PARTY APPS PERIOD. I am sure you all know why this is a PRO.... and a CON. ;)

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
To a point...

I'm a systems admin and support tech. Wintel and Apple, no offence but any tech or systems admin truly knows that Wintel machines need more constant care. Unless the pc is not doing anything but just sitting there and having the hard drive just spinning.

I have Win2k3 servers that are fine tuned and they can't hold a gigabyte to my Apple Xserve's. The only time the Xserve needed a restart or to swithched off was 15 months ago because we moved to a brand new facility. These are not just file servers either, the Apple servers are my mail, calendar and LDAP to name just a few.

I can see the logs and events on your pc now, there are a more than a few errors that you just can't see.

;)

UOTE=Popdevil;72624]I could with mine. My XP PRO desktop runs like champ. I'm an IT guy so maybe that is why my stuff doesn't crash even though its a MS product.:)[/QUOTE]I

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Mactech - I take your point about not going into the non-Intel chipped Apple servers because, frankly, they just weren't that good, were they? However, we now have App-tel servers and Win-tel servers, don't we? That is, they're both powered by Intel CPUs. The main difference is Apple's hardware is standardised so it's going to be more stable.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not an Apple user but I had a friend who kept calling me with tech problems for their small office network of mac's. This was pre OSX. They crashed and hanged often and I wondered about the reputation of stability they had. I think now mac's have the advantage of unix under the hood, so I believe these claims more now because I know how good the foundation is. Add to that that it's a closed system and that helps more.

I don't think it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt for a brand new device like the iPhone, however. Even before I bought it I know of will have lots of bugs. Apple did not magically become immune to problems that all software companies have to deal with.

Lurk

Jul 17, 2007
Mactech - I take your point about not going into the non-Intel chipped Apple servers because, frankly, they just weren't that good, were they? However, we now have App-tel servers and Win-tel servers, don't we? That is, they're both powered by Intel CPUs. The main difference is Apple's hardware is standardised so it's going to be more stable.
Isn't that the point? That Macs generally ARE more stable? The reason seems irrelevant at this point.

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I know from my experience that Apple is just more user friendly. When I had issues with my MacBook, I took it to the store and they worked on it. Their first diagnosis didn't work, but the second time they sent it off and I got it back 3 businesss days later working excellently. They have great customer service and user-friendly products. I enjoy having a PC as well, but I have far fewer issues with my Mac stuff, although like any other piece of technology, it will have problems. Anyone who expects their Apple product to be perfect is an idiot. Apples are just great in comparison to others.