So when does the Google Maps app become available in the App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Sep 20, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Interesting happenings right now. There is definitely a good amount of negative feedback regarding the new Maps app. It's hard to judge how much of that is within the tech-centric bubble and how much of it will be noticeable by users. In some ways, Apple defuses some of the pain by offering turn by turn navigation. Great move of deflecting issues with the mapping data.

At what point does Google Maps become available in the App Store? It's interesting to speculate where that app is in the process. Let's say Google has it ready, would they hold out a bit, so that Apple will receive some negative press. Will Apple approve it ASAP?

Discuss...

2. FromThailand

FromThailand New Member

If Google wants to sell more Android phones & tablets, the best thing they should do is nothing for Apple products. I'm an Apple user myself with a few devices, but will switch to Android soon if they don't find a solution to that serious issue.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I hope soon. I think Apple needs to defuse this smoking issue quickly by sucking it up and reintroducing a Google Maps App quickly. Many businessses, including airlines, have migrated to iDevices because they have been solid and accurate. From some of the articles I have read the Apple Mapping database is close to a disaster - to heck with turn-by-turn and fly-over. Give me accuracy and Streetview, and give the urban folks their Transit Directions back.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Interesting indeed. I wondered about this leading up to the release of iOS6 and am semi-surprised the OG Maps app wasn't offered immediately as an alternative to the new stock offering. I'm sure some folks would prefer a familiar fallback.

I'm holding off on updating my 4S to iOS6 for a number of reasons. While Maps isn't a primary concern I do have a lot of bookmarks and would prefer a seamless transition and the ability to fall back on the familiar.

The gamesmanship between A & G is beyond me but I think it would serve them both to give the end user the "best" experience by giving them the option.

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I was surprised that after I update to iOS 6, my history from google maps were in the new maps app. Unfortunately, the new maps app could not find my last 3-entries. This is very frustrating. I use it daily. Looking forward to a google maps app. Soon I hope. Real soon!

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I am an Apple fan, but I do hope that this turns into somewhat of a disaster for them. They need to remember that their purported goal has always been to give the end user the "best" experience. The tripped over their ****, er, ego, on this one at the expense of the end user, e.g.: According to both TheUnderstatement.com and Apple’s own website, 51 countries have no access to Transit data in iOS 6 Maps, 24 countries lost traffic data, 41 countries are without access to Street View and 20 countries don’t support turn-by-turn navigation and 3D Flyovers. All for turn-by-turn and flyover!

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It just works, right? Yep. It was acceptable to me that they released Siri as a Beta. Maps? WTFWJD?

8. iphone1027

iphone1027 Member
    Bronze

You can (as a band-aid fix) go to maps.google.com and "add to home screen" and I believe that works just like the actual map app found in previous iOS'. I know this is not a fix, but at least a temporary workaround.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, maps.google.com works pretty well for those who aren’t happy with iOS 6 maps. No Street View, but the rest of the functionality is there.

10. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I've been pretty happy with Waze and Mapquest so if there is an issue with this I have two alternatives that have been very reliable. Push come to shove ,I can pull out the dinosaur (my TomTom)

11. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I am glad there is a work around... I don't use street view much (although I probably should), so that loss doesn't bother me much. I hope Apple learns something from this. Why they would replace a good app with one that doesn't quite cut it is beyond me.

12. Markyboy

Markyboy Member
    Bronze

13. Markyboy

Markyboy Member
    Bronze

It's actually a cool app, makes use of the compass as well

14. FromThailand

FromThailand New Member

Here's an option if you updated to iOS6 and can't find local places anymore with Apple Maps. Use Foursquare to find your way around. That's what I've always done when I realized how easy it was to find places with foursquare. I even often found places that google maps search engine couldn't find. If you click "Direction" in foursquare, it will open google maps anyway in your safari browser with the direction that you're looking for. You can then save a bookmark of Google Maps to your homescreen at the same time when safari opens.

Find more here...
    http://aboutfoursquare.com/ios-6-local-search-foursquare/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&utm_term&utm_content=from-af-twitter-account&utm_campaign=new-post

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I do not want it ! It was a pain in the butt !

16. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Man, can't be soon enough for them to get out a good google maps app!

I'm lost without it. Apple thinks I live 35 km from my home.

No street view.

I rely on maps for work. I don't want to have to get a GPS or different phone, but I may have to.

Apple really let a lot of people down.

17. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Problem is Google doesn't sell Android, they give it away so they can collect more data on their users. More Android phones = more data. Thus they would be smart to put out a maps app on the iPhone for more user data. More information = more targeted advertising = more revenue.

18. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

It took Apple a year to approve the google search app and still haven't approved the upgrade with the talk to search function.

19. tudy

tudy Member
    Bronze

Amen to that! To add, I want my increased POI and accurate directions to boot! I'm tired of inputting a businesss name or address only for Apple Maps to show me the preview map which is accurate- then fails to bring me there when I hit the car/directions icon on the left of the POI name title bar. Absolutely infuriating. So I screen shot both maps to send to Apple and that hasn't worked right for me either. I miss Google Maps. Steve Jobs is turning in his grave at this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

20. FromThailand

FromThailand New Member

Just a precision. Google may give away Android to manufacturers, but manufacturers like Samsung don't give you the phone. Now here's an article for those who want to know how Google collects data for Google map:

Apple Has ~7,000 Fewer People Working On Maps Than Google

It's pretty clear by now that Apple bit off more than it could chew, booting Google Maps from the latest version of its iPhone and iPadoperating system.
    Apple's replacement app is buggy. It's giving people poor directions, and the maps themselves look downright strange.
    Apple has already issued a statement asking users for patience.
    You could have seen this coming.
    In June, we talked to a pair of Googlers involved in its mapping product, and they said that Google has 1,100 full time employees and 6,000 contractors working on its mapping products. Those 7,000 people do all sorts of granular work.
    What do these 7,000 people do? Our source says they are "street view drivers, people flying planes, people drawing maps, people correcting listings, and people building new products."
    Apple is reportedly hiring developers to improve its Maps product.
    Seems like it's going to take a lot more than that.