So when does the Google Maps app become available in the App Store

Jul 5, 2011
One thing i can't figure out? Why are there so many people waiting in line at Apple stores around the world to get their new iPhone 5, when they know that they're going to get iOS6 and that crappy map system with it? Maybe there wasn't enough bad reports about it all over the net...
Mystery O_o

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
One thing i can't figure out? Why are there so many people waiting in line at Apple stores around the world to get their new iPhone 5, when they know that they're going to get iOS6 and that crappy map system with it? Maybe there wasn't enough bad reports about it all over the net...
Mystery O_o
I have the iPhone 5 and will not activate it until we have a Google Maps App. Cannot live with Apple Maps on iOS 6 even if it is on the the iPhone 5.

Jul 5, 2011
I have the iPhone 5 and will not activate it until we have a Google Maps App. Cannot live with Apple Maps on iOS 6 even if it is on the the iPhone 5.
You mean your new iPhone 5 doesn't already have iOS6 in it?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The web app isn't enough to see you through?

You mean your new iPhone 5 doesn't already have iOS6 in it?
All iPhones 5 ship with iOS 6 installed. The issue is with the deficiencies of the new stock maps app that replaced the original Google maps app.

Jul 5, 2011
The web app isn't enough to see you through?

All iPhones 5 ship with iOS 6 installed. The issue is with the deficiencies of the new stock maps app that replaced the original Google maps app.
This is what you said earlier: "I have the iPhone 5 and will not activate it until we have a Google Maps App."
So my question is: What do you want to activate?

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Wow. You can't use the web app or something like waze for now?

jcmitchell5

Contributor
Silver
Feb 19, 2010
Arkansas
I'm pretty sure that Apple worked with TomTom to build the Apple version of maps. If Apple decided to tuck its tail and give the consumers an app that worked, it would more than likely be a TomTom app and not google. Just my 2 cents

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
I finally tried out Maps earlier and laughed when I seen it. I went to my current location at my house and low and behold large portion of the map next to me was covered in clouds.

Of course I reported this to Apple, and will continue to report any issues, but that doesn't excuse them. Apple took the wrong approach. They should have added Maps in while keeping Google Maps while Apple slowly accumulates map data and fixes the issues that were bound to appear. Once they got a good foothold in they could have removed Google Maps.