So who else has LAG again? darn it!

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before...anyway I upgraded to the new firmware and then things were good, for like a day, now the lag is back! I don't know if it is as bad as before but it is deff bad! Anyone else have it return? Is it unfixable!?

JSchu22

Jul 3, 2007
My contacts lag again. Not sure if its as bad as before but it's irritating none the less.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before...anyway I upgraded to the new firmware and then things were good, for like a day, now the lag is back! I don't know if it is as bad as before but it is deff bad! Anyone else have it return? Is it unfixable!?
When I upgraded to 2.0.1, the lag on my phone went away, for a day also. I am now having Lag issues again.

I took my phone into the Apple store yesterday. The Genius blamed the Lag on, to many pages of Apps (Home Screen plus 3 pages). My question was, why then is there the ability to add so many pages (Mine was nowhere near the 9 page capacity), if it screws the phone up. I of course got no reasonable answer to my question.

All the Genius (if he could be called that) did is restore my phone, and send me on my way. I still have the Lag issue and I'm a bit PO'd as to how Apple is handling it. Apple is well aware of the problem, but giving out more excuses, than fixes...Mark

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
I have noticed only a slight lag on occasion. 2.0.1 seems to have solved the majority of it. (for me)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I took my phone into the Apple store yesterday. The Genius blamed the Lag on, to many pages of Apps (Home Screen plus 3 pages). .Mark
That is total bull crap. I am with you. Why have 9 pages available if this is truly the issue. I believe the person you got was an ex ATT employee.:p

sportsfan12321

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Seriously this is ridiculous.....I had an almost perfect 2.0, but now with 2.0.1 there's lag when I type in safari, apps install 10x slower, phone goes to white Apple logo bootup screen sometimes...I hope there's a 2.0.2 soon!

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I have keyboard lag typing in Safari, email and texts. I think the frequency may be reduced with 2.0.1, but it's a pain. For the record, Swagger, I have less than a page of apps, so unless it was only to be lag-less when app-free, I think the story you got doesn't explain anything. I know Apple doesn't like to admit to problems, but doesn't it seem that it would be better PR-wise at this point to just admit that 2.0.1 hasn't resolved all the issues that were present in 2.0 and that they are working on it?

sportsfan12321

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
My question is what bugs DID the update address...250mb is the biggest I've seen for 'bug fixes'.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
It's incredible because the lag is far worse for me on 2.0.1 then on 2.0. I only experienced lag once the 3 weeks I had 2.0, now I get a lag (especially in SMS where it' unbearable) every day. This really is BS.

Fairy_dust

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
My question is what bugs DID the update address...250mb is the biggest I've seen for 'bug fixes'.
yes I'd like to know what bugs this update has supposed to have fixed. I personally don't think it's made a damn bit of difference. I had lag with SMS with 2.0 but with 2.0.1 it seems worse - so much for fixing bugs. Sometimes I really do wish I was back with my N95...

Huncowboy

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Honestly, I think the initial speed up we all have experienced after the update was due to rebooting as part of the update process. My lag is not horrible but it is there. If it gets too annoying I power cycle it. Btw I have 3 home pages but about one page is just url links in safari. I doubt this has anything to do with it.

I can live with this as long it will get better. I really was not expecting anything near perfect from a newly released computer and its software that we all like to call a "phone".

I sure would like to see other things fixed as well, like gmail contacts and boomarks sync properly to mention a few... Lets give them some time.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Update: I just got off the phone with Apple Support. I got the distinct feeling that nothing can really been done about the lag issue. Well, at least until another more robust update is released.

I also want to add, without subscribing to the conspiracy theory that the lag issue is for a reason. I found it odd, that the Apple Rep reminded me several times, that I could upgrade to the 3G iPhone for 199.99.

The rep must have mentioned it ten times, during our conversation. I felt like I was being pushed into upgrading. I am not crazy about AT&T's 3G service, so I figured, why upgrade and pay more for a service? I know I will be dissatisfied with....Mark

Fairy_dust

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Update: I just got off the phone with Apple Support. I got the distinct feeling that nothing can really been done about the lag issue. Well, at least until another more robust update is released.

I also want to add, without subscribing to the conspiracy theory that the lag issue is for a reason. I found it odd, that the Apple Rep reminded me several times, that I could upgrade to the 3G iPhone for 199.99.

The rep must have mentioned it ten times, during our conversation. I felt like I was being pushed into upgrading. I am not crazy about AT&T's 3G service, so I figured, why upgrade and pay more for a service? I know I will be dissatisfied with....Mark
Mine is the 3g iPhone so Apple are talking a load of rubbish!

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Hmm.. that seems odd. They've got to know that the 3Gs are experiencing the same issues.. And I thought the Apple salespeople weren't on commission..

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Yup, I am experiencing the lag also. Seems like the developers at Apple have a long long long way to go, before they can develop a decent and stable operating system.

I am wondering that when you switch from one application to another, the memory is not being cleared up properly. So memory leakage is occurring and causing the lag to happen. A daily reboot might have to be in order, until this is fixed!

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I upgraded and my lag went away from roughly 3 days. I only experience lag when trying to text. Most of the crashes are gone. People say its a software issue but I'm going to my graving saying its a hardware issue was well. We have 3G chips, GPS, apps & APPLE chose to use the same processor as v1. I feel in my bone they should have beefed it up a little with all the extra activities going on.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I upgraded and my lag went away from roughly 3 days. I only experience lag when trying to text. Most of the crashes are gone. People say its a software issue but I'm going to my graving saying its a hardware issue was well. We have 3G chips, GPS, apps & APPLE chose to use the same processor was v1. I feel in my bone they should have beefed it up a little with all the extra activities going on.
It has to be a software problem.
1) No Lag issue before 2.0 update.
2) v1 & v2 iPhones are having the same problem. v1 & v2 have different hardware.
3) 2.0.1 cleared up some of the lag issues, but not all.
4) A software upgrade did not change the hardware installed.
5) Apple could of quickly switched faulty hardware, after first batch of complaints after iDay 2.
6) The ouickly put out 2.0.1 was an admission from Apple, that the problem lies within the software.

All that said, the problem is certainly a software issue. As fast as things are moving for Apple, at the current moment. I believe that, they just aren't taking much time to think out, nor test their software releases...Mark

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
People say its a software issue but I'm going to my graving saying its a hardware issue was well. We have 3G chips, GPS, apps & APPLE chose to use the same processor was v1. I feel in my bone they should have beefed it up a little with all the extra activities going on.
The unofficial pole I have been taking just reading the various threads seems to support this. Seems like a lot more 3G phones experience some sort of problem as opposed to the V1 phones.
I have had a slight lag return, but never have I had a problem with crashes or loading and updating apps. I download most all apps from the phone as well as the updates and have had no issues.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
It has to be a software problem.
1) No Lag issue before 2.0 update.
2) v1 & v2 iPhones are having the same problem. v1 & v2 have different hardware.
3) 2.0.1 cleared up some of the lag issues, but not all.
4) A software upgrade did not change the hardware installed.
5) Apple could of quickly switched faulty hardware, after first batch of complaints after iDay 2.
6) The ouickly put out 2.0.1 was an admission from Apple, that the problem lies within the software.

All that said, the problem is certainly a software issue. As fast as things are moving for Apple, at the current moment. I believe that, they just aren't taking much time to think out, nor test their software releases...Mark
Good point sir... but I still feel the hardware is at least 20% 0f the issue.