So you want to open your iPhones case?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
This video shows step by step directions on how to open up an original iPhone. If you are out of warranty and need to fix your iPhone, this might be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
interesting that the bottom black piece just slides down and off. I thought it was glued, or on there permanent like.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hmmm, I might use these instructions should I want to replace the silver aluminum casing (mine has a couple of small dents/dimples on two corners--can't be seen from the front). It doesn't seem all that difficult to take apart if I only replace that one part ($40 right now for it).

probably won't attempt unless I eBay it down the road. I'll be putting a skin on it to help prevent future dings, with the added benefit of not seeing the ones that are already there.

--
Mike

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i never wanna even think about doing it. LOL
w/e happened to my iPhone, ill bring it back to the store and let a professional do it.
:mad:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
i never wanna even think about doing it. LOL
w/e happened to my iPhone, ill bring it back to the store and let a professional do it.
:mad:
Armed with that video and the tools they're selling, you are the professional. :p

My biggest concern is if I damage my outer casing and have to send it back to Apple, I know they'll just send me another phone and I don't want another phone... because mine works perfectly... I have the "good" LCD screen... everything. I would rather attempt a repair myself than lose this phone.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
My biggest concern is if I damage my outer casing and have to send it back to Apple, I know they'll just send me another phone and I don't want another phone... because mine works perfectly... I have the "good" LCD screen... everything. I would rather attempt a repair myself than lose this phone.
I totally agree. Unfortunately for me, I DID have to exchange my good phone, and I CAN tell the difference.