Social media - Facebook, Twitter, etc...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
About six months ago or so, I closed my Facebook account. I couldn't stand the ads, and all those annoying changes to Facebook; especially security changes...

Three weeks ago or so, I paused posting to Twitter. Just because, taking a sabbatical ;)

But, during these two experiments I've noticed that socially we as humans have really changed. We don't check-in with each other like we did BEFORE Facebook & Twitter.

Is this what life on the social front has turned into, Facebook & Twitter? Whatever happened to sending a text message to a friend to see how they are going etc?

Just curious...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think my social habits with IRL friends have changed much more because of having a child than because of Facebook, Twitter, online social networks.

Having said that, I feel like I still enjoy keeping in touch both offline and online.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...thanks for the response, Patrick. I can't believe there have been over 250 views, yet only one opinion. I thought humans had opinions on everything, no? :)

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Well I respond too
Anyway I have a box full hand written letters
This is how we used to stay in contact !
That said a text is pretty newish and I hardly get any I have no friends around here. I do still get the occasional card around Christmas.
As the letters where replaced with phones and e-mails, so are those replaced with texts and social media.
I can get better in contact with others through facebook. By others, I am saying old friends/neighbors,other parents from my sons school, new neighbors etc.
I found that it is sad that we do not have the face to face anymore. We stillI know more (sometimes to much) now about others, then I'd ever would have without Facebook etc. .
Why is that ? Because people are chicken they can't look you in the eye and tell you the deal. For what ever reason it is no big deal to post it so for everyone and the world to see. I see my kid grow up now and I do try to understand but found that is is not part of my life like it will be for him. I made it part of my daily routine but not my life. I enjoy the forum here much more.