Soft Unlock and Jailbreak Question

Jul 23, 2008
Sorry for the stupid question but what does "GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone and want potential soft unlock in the near future do NOT use QuickPwn" mean?

Does it mean that if I use QuickPwn on my 3G iPhone with 2.2 firmware that I will not be able to unlock the phone for use with a different mobile carrier other than AT&T in the future?

Or does it mean that if a "permanent jailbreak" is developed in the future, my iPhone 3G would not be able to take advantage of this? Thanks in advance for any explanations! :)

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Sorry for the stupid question but what does "GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone and want potential soft unlock in the near future do NOT use QuickPwn" mean?

Does it mean that if I use QuickPwn on my 3G iPhone with 2.2 firmware that I will not be able to unlock the phone for use with a different mobile carrier other than AT&T in the future?
This is correct. If you want to unlock your phone to use with a different carrier then you should not upgrade. However, if you are currently with AT&T and have no plans on changing the upgrade away.

Jul 23, 2008
Thank you Sele; you have been a tremendous help! I would thank you but I'm not sophisticated enough to do that yet!

sansaman

Dec 3, 2008
This is correct. If you want to unlock your phone to use with a different carrier then you should not upgrade. However, if you are currently with AT&T and have no plans on changing the upgrade away.
Now I have a question. I also heard that if you update to 2.2 from 2.1 jailbroken to jailbroken, that all apps downloaded from cydia and/or installer will stop working. Is this a major factor for people not updating to 2.2?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Now I have a question. I also heard that if you update to 2.2 from 2.1 jailbroken to jailbroken, that all apps downloaded from cydia and/or installer will stop working. Is this a major factor for people not updating to 2.2?
Basically, to update you must restore. And when you restore, all unofficial apps are wiped out. You can easily re-download them once you have re-jailbroken after the upgrade.

sansaman

Dec 3, 2008
Basically, to update you must restore. And when you restore, all unofficial apps are wiped out. You can easily re-download them once you have re-jailbroken after the upgrade.
Partyly an answer I was looking for. I know the apps stop working, but maybe I worded it wrong.

What I wanted to ask was, that after upping from 2.1 to 2.2 and jailbreaking, installer and cydia apps will not be able to be installed and run.

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Partyly an answer I was looking for. I know the apps stop working, but maybe I worded it wrong.

What I wanted to ask was, that after upping from 2.1 to 2.2 and jailbreaking, installer and cydia apps will not be able to be installed and run.
When you upgrade to 2.2 the cydia and installer apps will not work, but once you jailbreak again, cydia shows back up and you can reinstall any apps that you had before and they should work fine. Hope this helps.