soft update 1.1.3

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
What is a soft upgrade? I mean what does it add to the iPhone?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It loads rather large file (500MB) onto the iPhone, allowing the jailbreak. After you have jailbroken, you should delete the folder entitled softupdate as it takes up a good bit fo space.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
It loads rather large file (500MB) onto the iPhone, allowing the jailbreak. After you have jailbroken, you should delete the folder entitled softupdate as it takes up a good bit fo space.

- John
It's closer to 300mb, but yeah it's worth cleaning up. There is a tool for this in Installer now though, so you don't have to worry about whether you're deleting the right folder / files - it's listed as 1.1.3 Soft Upg. Cleaner, and should show up in Recent Packages section ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It's closer to 300mb, but yeah it's worth cleaning up. There is a tool for this in Installer now though, so you don't have to worry about whether you're deleting the right folder / files - it's listed as 1.1.3 Soft Upg. Cleaner, and should show up in Recent Packages section ...
Wow, there sure seem to be quite a few 1.13 jailbreak cleanup/fix packages available in Installer know. Nice to know that people are staying on top of things.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow, there sure seem to be quite a few 1.13 jailbreak cleanup/fix packages available in Installer know. Nice to know that people are staying on top of things.

- John
There are - and quite a few of the better ones come from the Big Boss source, he's definitely been super helpful these first couple days of the new jailbreak release. Also seems now (my experience anyway) that there are very few problems if you make sure you go into Nate's 1.1.3 jb processfrom 1.1.2 jailbroken, not 1.1.1 (as I learned the painful, time-consuming way) :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It does seem that way. I've read the threads in which you and Mike have discussed it.

How did you go about downgrading form 113 to 112? I ask because I know that going from 112 to 111 is fairly easy, and I wondered if the process was used.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
It does seem that way. I've read the threads in which you and Mike have discussed it.

How did you go about downgrading form 113 to 112? I ask because I know that going from 112 to 111 is fairly easy, and I wondered if the process was used.

- John
I downgraded from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1, then jailbroke again and went back up to 1.1.2 via OktoPrep etc. As you say, the downgrade process was pretty easy (well, not on my phone for a bit, because it loves restoring to 113, but has a very bad attitude about going to 111) - just get it in recovery mode and do the option/shift click on Restore and point it at your 1.1.1 restore file. For the overall downgrade and jailbreak it back up to 1.1.2 I used the excellent guide at HackThatPhone ...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch

- John

This morning I went from 113 down to 111 up to 112 then up to 113, it was a lot of work but here I am, going to start a thread about it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This morning I went from 113 down to 111 up to 112 then up to 113, it was a lot of work but here I am, going to start a thread about it.
That does seem the better way - hope it has gone well for you too, will watch for your new thread ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I downgraded from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1, then jailbroke again and went back up to 1.1.2 via OktoPrep etc. As you say, the downgrade process was pretty easy (well, not on my phone for a bit, because it loves restoring to 113, but has a very bad attitude about going to 111) - just get it in recovery mode and do the option/shift click on Restore and point it at your 1.1.1 restore file. For the overall downgrade and jailbreak it back up to 1.1.2 I used the excellent guide at HackThatPhone ...
I saw that and it's a very nice, detailed method. Just about anybody should be able to follow it.

- John

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
That does seem the better way - hope it has gone well for you too, will watch for your new thread ...
I tried last nite about 4-5 times, would not go past jailbreakme in 1.1.1 due to everyones mother was hogging the site, so I went this morning, went through all the way without a hickup.:cool:

Yeah, going to start a thread because I do have questions on ssh, but need to read some threads first to see if I find my answers.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Between the detail of that tutorial on downgrading and all the other guides out there, I think I'll try it out and create a thread on doing it on the Mac.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Between the detail of that tutorial on downgrading and all the other guides out there, I think I'll try it out and create a thread on doing it on the Mac.

- John
Good man, and good idea on the Mac thread too. Was wondering if you were getting tempted:)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I tried last nite about 4-5 times, would not go past jailbreakme in 1.1.1 due to everyones mother was hogging the site, so I went this morning, went through all the way without a hickup.:cool:

Yeah, going to start a thread because I do have questions on ssh, but need to read some threads first to see if I find my answers.
Glad to hear it went well - cool.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Good man, and good idea on the Mac thread too. Was wondering if you were getting tempted:)
That's me. Half of me wants to do it because of the risk, though. I like to taking risks. ;)

- John

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008

- John
Wow, if you're going to JB 1.1.3 wouldn't you think its wise to at least see what the other JB by NerGas has in store?

BTW a Mac tutorial would be nice, I'm still a little green. I was going to do this JB eventually in XP via VMware, but was sketchy on the USB reliability when not directly in BootCamp.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wow, if you're going to JB 1.1.3 wouldn't you think its wise to at least see what the other JB by NerGas has in store?

BTW a Mac tutorial would be nice, I'm still a little green. I was going to do this JB eventually in XP via VMware, but was sketchy on the USB reliability when not directly in BootCamp.
The official jailbreak was first rumored to come out yesterday. Now it's 2:40 today. I think I'll just go with the current method, and hope for the best.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
That's me. Half of me wants to do it because of the risk, though. I like to taking risks. ;)

- John
Risks are fun sometimes. Also, I think people tend to forget that - if you're paying attention and thinking about what you're doing as you go through these processes - you should also be learning a fair bit about how your device works, which is always a good thing ...

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
The official jailbreak was first rumored to come out yesterday. Now it's 2:40 today. I think I'll just go with the current method, and hope for the best.

- John
Hah, you've waited this long already and you're going to let the final stretch stand in your way? A madman I tell you!

Good luck, hope it goes well, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm really anxious to do this myself too.