Software 2.1 or 3.0... Which do you prefer?

DANSBIRD

Aug 10, 2009
I upgraded mine to 3.0 a while back and I hate it. How it acted w/ 2.1 was flawless and I only upgraded b/c I didn't think it would hurt anything. Now, my apps are slower to load, AIM lags like crazy, and the landscaping keyboard seems to more of a PITA than it's worth.

I'm new and I'm sure this topic has been discussed already, but for the sake of it.... thoughts?

Thanks

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think it's fair to say just about every answer you'll get here, including mine, is 3.0 by a mile. It's my favorite update thus far - I love all the new features in it, and I'm certainly not experiencing any lag whatsoever with it. Have you tried restoring the phone in iTunes yet? That may do the trick for you.

DANSBIRD

Aug 10, 2009
I don't care for the random landscaping of the keyboard.

I've yet to use the copy/paste

the search screen is useless, IMO

AIM will not allow me to type when the other person is sending a message

and aps are running slower.

It's almost as if something is bogging down the processor.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
If I had to choose, I would choose 3.0.

I love the copy-n-paste. I love the no-longer-crashing Safari. I do not love the length of time it takes to go from any app back to the home screen (after pushing the home button).

DANSBIRD

Aug 10, 2009
I'm considering a downgrade back to 2.1... just not sure how easy it'd be.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
3.0 by a mile. There are a few "bugs" in 3.0, but I would wait for the update which should be soon. I think you will see a big difference.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
You should really give the Spotlight Search a chance. It is, hands down, the quickest way to access many things on the phone including apps, phone #s, music, etc. I never thought it took very long to find an app or phone # without Spotlight but now that I'm using it pretty much exclusively I'd be lost without it. Excellent feature IMO.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Thanks, so it is time for the big hype build up to that date....then you know what happens?

Yeah......when is the new software for the jail break of 3.1.0?

kriket

Aug 10, 2009
After upgrading to 3.0, one should set up as a new iPhone in iTunes rather than restore the old settings. Restoring the old settings from iTunes is the common reason for problems with 3.0 as the OP described. You can always restore your data later, after setting up your iPhone as new. That way you avoid conflicting settings etc. and iPhone really works as brand new.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'll agree that spotlight is utterly useless on the iPhone but all the other features on 3.0 are great. I don't know if safari has crashed on me yet.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Since upgrading to 3.0 & 3.0.1, I have something on the phone that runs in the background, sucking up all available RAM. I am taking my phone to Apple next weekend (or some evening this week) to have them run diagnostics on it to see if they can determine what is running. If it's an app, well, obviously it comes off the phone, but if it's some new process in the OS, then I am probably looking at getting the phone replaced.
Since going to 3.0, my battery life has decreased. I have restored my phone 3 times so far, and the last time to "new". I have reset all settings on the phone. Every time I do this, the phone seems fine for a day or 2, but then starts acting up.
Main problems are lag with opening and using apps, Safari lag and crashes switching between or trying to close multiple windows, random weird behavior.

I like what 3.0 + has to offer, but performance wise, it's horrible for me. I have not gained enough from 3.0 to overlook my problems.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I'll agree that spotlight is utterly useless on the iPhone but all the other features on 3.0 are great. I don't know if safari has crashed on me yet.
I have over 400 contacts, 140 CDs and 11 pages of apps. Spotlight is anything but useless to me. Beyond doubt it's the fastest way to access anything not on my home screen.
I can't be the only (power) user that loves that feature.

Jul 14, 2008
I like both. I have 3.0 running on my 3GS and 3G phones. I have 2.2.1 running on my 2G so that I can run some apps that won't work on 3.0.

I do find myself using search allot to find songs or apps, especially since I have over 1600 songs loaded.