Software difference for iPhone 3G vs first gen iPhone?

Aug 11, 2007
Does anyone know if the upgrade to 2.0 will be the same software on the new iPhone 3G? Is all the 3G going to give you is a new case, a little more memory, and access to 3G network? Where I live they don't have 3G in my area yet, so that is a mute point for now. I have the 8G and that is more than enough memory, I usually keep 2 movies, all my songs, my 1000 or so contacts, appointments, etc and still have 1/2 my memory available. When i am done with one movie, I just unsync it and put on another.

I just want to see if this will be the same software as the new phone will have. Any ideas. Thanks.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Software will be the same, although the iPhone 3G does have GPS. What exactly you'll be able to do with the GPS remains to be seen. Right now, it seems limited to "tracking". I'm sure there will be location based services. Here I am, here's the closest Starbuck's.

If you are not in a 3G area, I'd hold off. Price, followed by 3G are the biggest attractions to the iPhone 3G.

-Chris

Aug 11, 2007
Thanks Chris.
As far as GPS, the locate feature on my current google maps works great, and then i just type in Starbucks in the search field and it shows me the Starbucks around me. So we basically have that already, although in certain areas the locate function is not precise, whereas the new GPS feature should be dead on, but I have navigation in my car for that.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Why can't we have the GPS? Even if its not a true GPS, we should be able to get something close to it with out having to upgrade to the 3G iPhone. Am I kidding myself?

Aug 11, 2007
GPS requires a special sensor to read the satellites. The first gen iPhone does not have it, so we have to settle for the software triangulation google maps is using.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
...there's software in the update that can pinpoint where you and your contacts are exactly...so where does that leave GPS standing?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Software will be the same, although the iPhone 3G does have GPS. What exactly you'll be able to do with the GPS remains to be seen. Right now, it seems limited to "tracking". I'm sure there will be location based services. Here I am, here's the closest Starbuck's.

If you are not in a 3G area, I'd hold off. Price, followed by 3G are the biggest attractions to the iPhone 3G.

-Chris

great answer...good points

May 6, 2007
United States
The only software differences will take root with the hardware changes.

For example, GPS will be on the iPhone 3G, and browsing will be faster with 3G technology. Other than these changes, everything will be available for the original iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
So their is no reason to really upgrade unless you want a white colored one?
3G is the biggest reason to upgrade. Price is the biggest reason to join the iPhone revolution.;)

Space is also an issue for some owners. There were plenty of members who jumped when the 16GB came out.

It really depends on your needs, coverage area and finally your budget.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
3G is the biggest reason to upgrade. Price is the biggest reason to join the iPhone revolution.;)

Space is also an issue for some owners. There were plenty of members who jumped when the 16GB came out.

and yet another great point Chris...that storage medium is definitely a reason why i praughly reason i would upgrade...when i get into the app store i might i have to contain myself...so what's the avrg size on each app?

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
and yet another great point Chris...that storage medium is definitely a reason why i praughly reason i would upgrade...when i get into the app store i might i have to contain myself...so what's the avrg size on each app?
I don't think anyone knows the average size yet but what is known is that the maximum size an app can be is 2 GB. This is one of the reasons I will be upgrading to the new iPhone 3G since my current one is only 8 GB.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

I agree. The iPhone 3G is cheaper out the gate, but the rate plan is a little more in the long run.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I don't think anyone knows the average size yet but what is known is that the maximum size an app can be is 2 GB. This is one of the reasons I will be upgrading to the new iPhone 3G since my current one is only 8 GB.
Even bloated Windows isn't 2GB. I really don't think it will be a problem. Most apps won't surpass 10 or 20 MB tops. What I am thinking about is in what partition these apps will reside. Either they vastly expanded the size of the OS partition or apps will be in the media partition which means you will have no problem either way.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
One thing to think about is the fact thatthe downlad limit for the cellular network will be 10 mb so some developers might ne shooting for that range.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
well that's good to know that the avrg app would be about 20MB or so...those MB tend to add up tho'