Software for Doctors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gmoura

Oct 2, 2007
Hello All,

I’m looking for software to support me on the hospital, basically to find local articles and papers on my iPhone’s HD.

May you help me?

Thanks in advance!

Gus

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Are you looking for trade journals and research papers and the like? They should be available online.

gmoura

Oct 2, 2007
At the hospital that I work, they don’t have wi-fi yet. That’s why I’m looking for some application to save the trade journals and research papers on my local iPhone’s HD.

I’m also looking for something more complex to organize my schedule and archive the patient’s data.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
At the hospital that I work, they don’t have wi-fi yet. That’s why I’m looking for some application to save the trade journals and research papers on my local iPhone’s HD.

I’m also looking for something more complex to organize my schedule and archive the patient’s data.
I don't know if anything is currently available that allows the iPhone to act as a storage disk for your papers, but you could always email them to yourself. That's what I do.

The iPhone has a calendar, does it not work for you?

You may want to check with your hospital administrator or legal department regarding storing patient data on your iPhone (or any other portable device, for that matter). There could be some legal/hospital policy issues.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't know of anyway to save that kind of info on the iPhone itself.
What I do, I save papers on my website (.mac) on an area that is password protected. I access it through Safari and Edge is good enough to open up those articles/papers. There's no need for a wifi connection. I keep patients notes on "Notes" and indeed email them to myself when needed.

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007

I agree with Beej. Particularly with respect to Apple's handling of third party apps, I'm going to venture that the iPhone isn't HIPAA compliant, and that if the archived patient data you store on your phone falls into the wrong hands, losing your phone will be the least of your worries.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I agree with Beej. Particularly with respect to Apple's handling of third party apps, I'm going to venture that the iPhone isn't HIPAA compliant, and that if the archived patient data you store on your phone falls into the wrong hands, losing your phone will be the least of your worries.
true, but you can say that of anything. If your carry a patient's chart in your bag and it is stolen, you've got the same problem.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
I concur fully here.

As a former hospital employee, I would bet that such software would not be allowed by the hospital where you work, for the potential breach of HIPAA voilations mentioned earlier.

Just use the voice notes app to record your notes, then hire a secretary to dictate! :p

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
true, but you can say that of anything. If your carry a patient's chart in your bag and it is stolen, you've got the same problem.
Not exactly. There's a fundamental difference between a paper original and a digital copy. But that wasn't my point, and besides, this is everythingiPhone, not everythingBriefcase.

What I intended to convey was that there are HIPAA regs for digital devices; with the combination of the iPhone not being intended as a HIPPA-compliant device coupled with the wild frontiers of iPhone hacking, makes the original poster's desire extremely risky.