Dec 17, 2008
PA
Wifi? 

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not only does it not exist, but it's impossible. No iPhone has the hardware necessary to use a 4G network.
I've never mentioned this here, but I've often wondered if someone could make a 4G radio chip dongle that would attach to the charging port and be in the form of an iPhone case. The case could have its own charging port, similar to a Mophie Juice Pack, so you could charge the phone while it was in the case. I don't think there would be a huge market for it, because it would probably cost half of what a new subsidized iPhone would cost, but it might be possible. What do you think? Do you know if the radio chip has to be in direct contact with other parts of the internal hardware in the phone?

It would look kinda like this:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm sure it's possible, theoretically. Question is whether iOS would allow it... I have a feeling something like that would only work with a paired app (like a custom web browser made by the same company). In other words, you wouldn't be able to configure it as your iPhone's default modem. I guess if you're jailbroken it's more in the realm of possibility... but how many companies are going to market something like that strictly for the jailbreak community?

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Again you already have a wifi radio in the 3GS and wifi hot spots and dongles available everywhere why would anybody go to the trouble of retrofitting a 2 year old device(or any device)?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Peacekepr

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
No 4G service is available period.
No mobile company has yet met the specifications for 4G as laid out by the ITU (the body that sets the standard).
What is being marketed as 4G is really Pre-4G.

Peacekepr

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
It still does not actually meet ITU standards for 4G.
Thats not to say that it's a bad product - just pointing out that the mobile companies are using 4G as a marketing tool even if none of them actually fully meet the standards.
No doubt the new services they are selling ARE faster than 3G they just don't fully meet the specifications for 4G yet.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's not software to convert 3G to 4G in the phone, which is what the OP asked about. MiFi is external hardware that costs $270 without a contract ($99 with a contract) and has a monthly service charge of $50. I don't know about the OP, but there's no way I'd pay for that when I'm already paying for a data plan on my phone.