Software updates after a jailbreak.

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
sure this has been asked so don't rear-end me for asking it - after jailbreaking the 3Gs, in say a month or so, I connect it to iTunes and iTunes says there is a SW update for my phone available (post 3.0.1 I'd assume) - should I go ahead and update it via iTunes? I realize my JB will be history and I'd have to do it again but is that it?

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
to my knowledge if you have backed up your phone, i think yes all that would be lost is your JB and all the software that goes with it, I have had times where it has left behind things like battery % but thats it

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
3.0.1 is available now. 3.1 will be released soon. When 3.1 is released (and the jailbreak is ready), restore to factory settings (not from a backup) after syncing in iTunes and then rejailbreak. If you just do the update without restoring first, traces of the jailbreak will be left on the phone.

You can back up your contacts in iTunes with an email account (this is not automatic-you need to set it up). You can back up your Cydia apps with PkgBackup and you can backup your App Store and stock apps with Chronus. Here are detailed directions.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
Europa - thanks - what is the 3.1 gonna offer new? should I wait to JB (again) until after that comes out?

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
I also heard...

that Apple was gonna stick some bs code in an upcoming sw update that'll f up your phone if it's jb - that true?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
that Apple was gonna stick some bs code in an upcoming sw update that'll f up your phone if it's jb - that true?
3.1 is going to be more difficult to jailbreak, you can count on it, but I'm sure the dev-team is already looking at the beta and will be ready shortly after 3.1 goes live. I won't upgrade to 3.1, until the jailbreak has been released. 3.1 is supposed to address some battery life issues, and a few minor feature enhancements, like emailing and editing video.