Solar Powered iPhone Charger

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 26, 2007
it does look cool but also a bit bulky
and quite the expensive piece, but if you have a lot of oppourtunity to use it, i say go for it

nsilvio

Dec 11, 2008
iPhone solar charger case Defective!

I bought this charger from Solar Arcadia and stop working after the first charge! I'm trying to contact them with no success.
Google it and you will find others complaints
I want to return the item for exchange or refund

Lky007

Jan 7, 2009
iPhone Solar Charger

Have you seen this iPhone solar charger from www.commxperts.com/shop

They appear to be launching this device at CES this week, and will have units in stock the first week of February. This unit is apparently from Europe, and they are bringing it into the states?

I have purchased other products from these guys with great success.

D

Didi Aslan

Apple for the first time has given its certification to a solar-powered iPhone power unit. The product, developed by Novothink, is available now. The Solar Surge is a charging case for the iPhone and iPod Touch that uses a solar panel and a lithium ion battery to provide sustainable power for the devices without the need for a standard outlet.

geekgrrl

Nov 20, 2008
I have the Novothink Surge, because I am an "early adopter" and I like solar power and rechargeable batteries.

It works fine.

I put mine in a double zip ziploc baggy to protect it from dirt and grit. It charges up on the dashboard right through the ziploc.

I have yet to take it hiking or on a bicycle tour.

I do not leave the Touch 2G on the Surge. It was my experience the Surge turned my Touch ON all by itself. Of course, the Touch turned itself OFF. This discharged the Touch battery, then the Touch took all of it's charge from the Surge device until the Surge was empty, and beeped at me to disconnect the Surge.

By this means, I found out it is "best use" to use the Novothink Surge as a "dock" when the iPhone/Touch battery is getting near "the red zone".

I have the Novothink Surge in black. It looks good.

I also like it in electric blue. There are other colors.

If you are some place you worry about theft of your iPhone/Touch, the Surge is an effective "disguise" because it is big and retro clunky.

I like the Novothink Surge. Be sure to charge it fully, maybe a cycle or two before it behaves as advertised.

That is my "review".

homerb

Apr 22, 2010
Quick question: Being that these solar chargers have a battery, do they charge the iPhone's battery all the time regardless of how much sun they are in until the external battery is depleted? Do you have to charge the external battery with the sun before charging the iPhone battery? Or do they only charge the iPhone's battery when they are in the sun? What I'm trying to get at is can you charge the iPhone's battery directly from the sun?

Are there any slimmer solar iPhone battery chargers that don't have an external battery that charge directly from the solar panels?

Thanks!

geekgrrl

Nov 20, 2008
The Surge must be fully charged off USB before you use it the first time.

It was my experience the Surge needed a few charge and discharge "cycles" to start to behave consistently, then, it puts its charge into the iPhone/Touch first.

This is why I do not leave my iPod Touch "docked".

I use my iPod Touch, then I use the charged Surge.

I let the Surge charge up separately.

I won't use it the other way because I am not willing to have MY iPod Touch hang outside my backpack or take the road shock of riding in a bicycle holder. I am also not willing to have MY iPod Touch ride on the dashboard of my vehicle. I am also not willing to have MY iPod Touch lay around on a sundeck, window sill or elsewhere unattended by me.

I am not going to leave my iPod Touch docked, because the Surge unit, as I said in my first post, turns it ON and OFF. This discharges both.

The answer: it does not charge directly.

Apple electronics do not permit this.

Perhaps you have seen the "solar charger" previously sold, that destroyed the iPhones and iPod Touch?

I wanted one, but I held back from purchasing one because I did not see it was an Apple approved "compatible" product and no one knew anything about it in the forums.

There is also Juice. It looks like a trim protective case.

I have heard a small tv reception chip used for cell phone service will be added in the Juice battery pack. There will be a month-to-month prepaid service charge. No kidding. I want one if only for one month :sneaky: just to show off.

Kensington has small lightweight external batteries: carry two or three. I have one.

The only other solar recharger I know, reported to match the electronics of iPhone/Touch is the Solio magnesium high-powered model. The adapter is sold separately. There are complaints about earlier models not having sufficient power.

I am okay, having a fully charged iPod Touch, a fully charged Novathink Surge, and one small fully charged Kensington battery when I leave the trailhead for 2-3 days up to 10 days hike. I find I don't use my iPod Touch out hiking that much, in fact, the longer or the better the hiking trip, the less I use it. On a great hiking trip, I forget it is in my pocket.

Maybe this information helps you make an informed decision?

Aug 4, 2010
i've had several solor chargesers for my phone and i honestly haven't been impressed. they do work, theyjust take for ever and really aren't very practical. its a good thing to have in a pinch but i wouldn't spend much money on it. unless you spend a majority of your time outdoors you really wont get much use out of it

bmenhall

Bronze
Aug 5, 2010
Apple for the first time has given its certification to a solar-powered iPhone power unit. The product, developed by Novothink, is available now. The Solar Surge is a charging case for the iPhone and iPod Touch that uses a solar panel and a lithium ion battery to provide sustainable power for the devices without the need for a standard outlet.

sweet! this just shows how advanced our technology is getting every minute...!