Sold my 3G & I'm Back to V1

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
So I did the unthinkable in some people's eyes..after selling my V1 for the 3G..I have now sold the 3G and for a NEW V1..(yes, i'm sick i know)

(Got a great deal on a 16GB on ebay..almost brand new)

Anyways, I regretted betraying my true love for a younger newer model..

No disrespect to any 3G users..I personally loved the design and the new color options, the new calculator and other stuff about the 3G but it is just cannot be compared to the Original iPhone.

I think the 3G is the perfect iPhone for some people but not for me. Obviously Apple had to cut a lot of corners to make the 3G more affordable and you can CERTAINLY tell in my opinion.

Since July 11th I found myself trying to love the plastic back and the lower quality screen but I cannot live a lie anymore :) Again..the 3G is great and a lot of people love it as well as they should, Apple is awesome but after owning the Original for so long you can tell it was just not the best quality. The purpose of me getting the 3G was for the "3G" but anytime I turned it on..I would lose all my bars...I live in Manhattan so GPS is not really needed on the subway. I think what it came down to was the whole feel of the 3G itself..the best way I can describe it is it kind of felt like a toy..the Original iPhone had the metal back and felt much more stable and unique. The reason for the post was just to say I am back in the Original iPhone game and i'm loving every minute of it :)

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
-The screen quality is the same. The software setting has it set to warmer.
-The price of the 3g is the same as the previous iPhone. It is just subsidized to make more customers. Even though you might feel it would be cheaper, shouldn;t it acutally be more expensive? It should naturally cost more with a gps chip and a 3g radio installed.

I hope that doesn't seem like I am shooting down your thoughts. Those are just facts. To tell you the truth, I like the v1's looks better, but I would rather get a new 3g than a used v1. Congrats on your v1 though!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From a current V1 owner: Welcome Back.:)
Ditto. :laugh2:

And not to start an argument, but...

I haven't really read any reports from people upgrading their V1 phones to 2.0 complaining of a color difference. While Apple did claim the warmer tone was intentional on the 3G, they did not say it was software-induced.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
I like my 3G, look/feel all around better phone IMHO

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Definitely, as long as you're happy then that's all that matters. I got the 3G and gave my V1 to my wife. I like both phones but I have to say after having the 3G for a week. I like the feel better and 3G for me was a must... no more missed calls while browsing, over half a meg on speeds compared to the 40kb/s I was getting on edge. If the 3G never came out I'd still be happy with the v1.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
-The price of the 3g is the same as the previous iPhone. It is just subsidized to make more customers. It would naturally cost more with a gps chip and a 3g radio installed.

I hope that doesn't seem like I am shooting down your thoughts. Those are just facts. To tell you the truth, I like the v1's looks better, but I would rather get a new 3g than a used v1. Congrats on your v1 though!
Let us know if that's how you still feel once you finally get a 3G.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I have a 3g, and I still feel the same.
Edit- and the whole "warmer" issue? Only noticeable when you compare to v1. Only "issue" is that it gets warm early.
But thanks for the concern Rob.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
-The price of the 3g is the same as the previous iPhone. It is just subsidized to make more customers. It would naturally cost more with a gps chip and a 3g radio installed.
hmm... more expensive hardware (battery, GPS, and 3G), but somehow it's the same price as before... wonder how that happened...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
hmm... more expensive hardware (battery, GPS, and 3G), but somehow it's the same price as before... wonder how that happened...
Lol, true man.
You always catch me. I type fast and don;t think. Will edit, thanks.:laugh2:

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
There was a thread a while back comparing a new 3G screen to an old v1 screen to a regular television, all showing the same shot in a movie, and the 3G was much closer to the TV picture then the V1 was. (v1 had sort of a blueish effect. the 3G may seem yellow or warm compared to the v1 but based on this comparison the 3G is actually the better picture).

I also read that the difference was software because some 3G's shipped with a firmware that was already out of date at the time of launch and when they upgraded the firmware they saw some screen differences.

I'm wondering if V1s that are upgraded to 2.0 have a different looking screen color?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Oh you fickle boy...you fickle boy.:laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ditto. :laugh2:

And not to start an argument, but...

I haven't really read any reports from people upgrading their V1 phones to 2.0 complaining of a color difference. While Apple did claim the warmer tone was intentional on the 3G, they did not say it was software-induced.
Oh very good point Dave. I never really thought of that. If it really was a software thing within 2.0 to make it "warmer" then you would imagine v1 iPhones would be affected as well. I am still thoroughly displeased with the "better, warmer" color but have learned to deal with it. I just have to avoid looking at my glorious v1 screen.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there are technically two different 2.0.1's right? one for v1, and one for 3G...

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Not surprising at all to me.

Both v1 and 3g are terrific smartphones. I prefer my v1 mostly for the $1800 it will save me over five years. I am very glad that the 3g is so popular as it will bring lots of cool apps to market. Love the 2.0 and 2.0.1 software update.

My v1 has been a real durable phone, that survived many hard drops before I finally protected it.

Jim

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I love my 3G much much more than my V1. The thing I love the most about is actually the plastic back! It feels a lot nicer to me than that cold metal :eek: The only thing I miss about my V1 is the battery life, Because I haven't had time to look at any of those battery life saving threads yet. Each to his own I guess.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
To The OP,
Thank you for this very useful thread. I know I will be sticking with my v1 now. I was at the Apple Store yesterday. I almost purchased a 3G, but just couldn't do it. I love the feel of my sturdy v1. Some people prefer lighter electronics. I prefer a little heft in the products I purchase. It gives me a slight reassurance that, I have purchased a quality product...Mark