Sold my iPhone 5s on Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Dec 14, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I was only one year into my contract. However, I switched to Next plan, so I guess that made my iPhone 5s eligible to be unlocked. Used the request form at AT&T and was unlocked within 48 hours. I ended up putting it on Craigslist for $375 with a used Otterbox Defender. It's a 16GB model. Had someone call on Friday and we met earlier today. Smooth transaction. My box and accessories were pristine, since I didn't have a need to open up my cables or headphones. Decided that since this was a hassle-free seller that I'd discount it to $360.

This was a great transaction. Happy seller, happy buyer.

I don't want to jinx it, but I've been happy with Craigslist. You don't get killed with fees or shipping charges. If you can weed out the people who are trying to low-ball you, you can find some good buyers.

The reason he bought my iPhone? The pictures. So, the next time you sell, definitely focus on good, high-quality close-ups.

What's been your Craigslist experience?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I had a great iPhone sale with Craigslist a long while back. I actually met the buyer at his place of work, Subway. He paid me the money, he got the phone, my mom and I got free Subway.

I've never had bad sales, but for all: Make sure you pick a safe public place to meet.

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I have nothing but good to say about Craigslist. I sold my iPhone 4 off Craigslist. The girl and her bf drove in a snow storm to meet me. I couldn't make it to the first stop, so they drive to the 7-11 down the street from me.

This year I sold my iPhone 5 to a guy going to Seton Hall. Found out he lived in my town. Met at the same 7-11. I had two bites but the first one backed out only to come back with my offer. I had to tell him I had another offer and if it fell through, I'd let him know. It didn't.

Both sales went seamless and uneventful. I praise Craigslist over eBay any time.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've sold two iPhones on Craigslist and both sales went very well. I sold both of them the same day I put them up for sale. It was piece of cake. Profit maximized and no fees or shipping.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The magazine section?

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I always pick Starbucks. Worst case scenario, I get myself a good cup of coffee. I've sold cars at Starbucks through Craigslist because I didn't want random people coming to my house. In the case of the car sale, they had to come back, because I needed a lift.

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I also never give my phone number out. If they ask for one, I use a text free app or Google Voice.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Same here. Google Voice for me.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use my prepaid SIM card phone number for Craigslist transactions and meet the buyers at the grocery store that's near my house. My credit union is in the grocery store, so I walk straight over to it and deposit the cash. Craigslist is a lot faster than going through Gazelle and the profit goes to you rather than them. Gazelle puts them up on eBay as soon as they receive them so they can turn a profit.

10. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I've sold and bought iPhones off of Craigslist. Never had any issues either way.

11. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I've had good luck using Swappa. It's slower than Craigslist, and Swappa takes $10 of the sale, but it's a clean and trustworthy site. Kinda like what eBay was once, long long ago.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Sold my 5S 64GB on eBay after having AT&T unlock it. I offered it stock or jail broken. Someone snapped up the 'buy it now' within an hour of starting the auction.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1418754103.317231.jpg

I was a happy boy. I second your comment that taking good quality pictures and accurately describing any small blemish is very important, and results in a quick high dollar sale.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Rick, if you don't mind me asking, what's eBay's take on your sale?

14. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

It was about 45 bucks. That cuts down my profit a little bit, but it was a quick sale, and I didn't have to worry about meeting anyone or having any problems.

15. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I had a pretty sketchy experience selling my two 5's a few months back. The guy kept trying to lure me out of a public place, but I had no intentions on getting held up that night. I received a lot of texts with low ball offers and even scams offering more than I was selling the phones for. I ended up meeting one guy at his job at Texas Roadhouse and the other at a T-Mobile store to ensure the phone was unlocked. In the past I used Nextworth, but I didn't lock in the price in time so the price dropped about $40 by the time I was ready to sell. Bad timing on my part.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's incredibly easy to spot scammers and I would just ignore low-ball offers. I meet them inside a store, not a parking lot. Prepaid T-Mobile SIMs are only $10. I got one several years ago and have cut it down from standard, to micro to nano size as the years went by. It's great for verifying unlocks and I use it as a backup. I take it with me to the grocery store where I meet buyers and put both my AT&T SIM and my T-Mobile SIM in it to prove it's unlocked. I also open iCloud and show them that no one is logged in and tell them how important it is to check that on any future used iPhone purchases they make. Craigslist is awesome for selling phones.

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I've bought and sold many things on Craigslist--iPhones, iPads, PC parts, Macs. It's a great way to get a good price on stuff, as long as you know what to look out for (scams and lowballs). My only issue is how hard it is to get enough cash out of the ATM for the big ticket items like MacBook Air. My bank likes to stop me from drawing out more than $400, if I draw that out one day, I sometimes end up having my card shut off if I draw any more out the next day. If I could ApplePay for Craigslist items, that'd rock :D