Solid state hard drives

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 19, 2007
I hope Apple puts solid state hard drives in the new iPhones. it would give the iPhone longer battery life less moving parts to break if dropped and you can put three times as much info into the same amount of space compared to a regular hard drive. A 10G iPhone could hold 30G of songs movies and other crap.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The iPhone doesn't have any moving parts now unless you wave it about angrily. I'm doing that right now. If you accelerate the iPhone to near light speed you can store 4 times as much information and the kinetic energy will recharge the battery for you. Only if you live in the northern hemisphere though.

HTH

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I hope Apple puts solid state hard drives in the new iPhones. it would give the iPhone longer battery life less moving parts to break if dropped and you can put three times as much info into the same amount of space compared to a regular hard drive. A 10G iPhone could hold 30G of songs movies and other crap.
what are you talking about?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What moving parts are you talking about? Unless you're manic and throw the iPhone on the ground as a hobby, which I don't think anybody is stupid enough to do, nothing should come loose.

drahardja

Sep 30, 2007
The iPhone doesn't have any moving parts now unless you wave it about angrily. I'm doing that right now. If you accelerate the iPhone to near light speed you can store 4 times as much information and the kinetic energy will recharge the battery for you. Only if you live in the northern hemisphere though.

HTH
I nominate this as the Post of the Day.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
sigh

Ummm, you don't really think the iPhone actually has a mechanical hard drive do you? Please tell me this is a joke. The reason we don't have 40GB iPhones yet is simply the cost of this type of memory...but like all things it will come. If they had used mech hard drives in the iPhone they would be 30, 40, 50 GB...but they wouldn't be all fast and sleek.

The ipod classic that are large amounts of storage 80-160GB are mech hard drives.

Please read nightmare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt and hope they meant normal hard drives since they were saying they wanted 30G of space. It will never happen cause the battery life would be like 5 minutes and the hard drives would crap out all the time, but keep on hoping I guess.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
less moving parts

I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt and hope they meant normal hard drives since they were saying they wanted 30G of space. It will never happen cause the battery life would be like 5 minutes and the hard drives would crap out all the time, but keep on hoping I guess.
I can't give him that benefit because he states it would have less moving parts...so he was not referring to a standard mech drive.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Microdrives reportedly do very well with battery life these days.

In the early days of handhelds, a CF form factor microdrive was a sweet way to get more memory.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm sure the op meant "solid state drive", though clearly he hasn't researched the current iPhones and doesn't realize, in effect, that's what they have.

Frankly, I'd love to see SSDs in everything that uses memory now! They use a fraction of the power that standard hds use, and have life spans that dwarf current disk hd technology. They are still overpriced, but like all new good tech, as they are more widely adopted, the prices will drop more and more rapidly. Dell is issuing them as an option on se of their Lattitude laptops now, but they bring a $400 premium for a 60gb unit. By next year, double the capacity will cost half as much.

As far as iPods go, I can't imagine it'll be too long before they will all have SSDs in them. Apple's warranty repairs would drop significantly as a result, but they'd last longer, so maybe not!

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I'm sure the op meant "solid state drive", though clearly he hasn't researched the current iPhones and doesn't realize, in effect, that's what they have.

Frankly, I'd love to see SSDs in everything that uses memory now! They use a fraction of the power that standard hds use, and have life spans that dwarf current disk hd technology. They are still overpriced, but like all new good tech, as they are more widely adopted, the prices will drop more and more rapidly. Dell is issuing them as an option on se of their Lattitude laptops now, but they bring a $400 premium for a 60gb unit. By next year, double the capacity will cost half as much.

As far as iPods go, I can't imagine it'll be too long before they will all have SSDs in them. Apple's warranty repairs would drop significantly as a result, but they'd last longer, so maybe not!

Why would Apple want ipods to last longer?!?!?! then you wont be forced to buy a new one after a couple years.

truehybridx

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007
ok hmm if the iPhone had a harddrive, EVERYONE here would be screwed because majority of us use holdsters and most of them have "magnetic" clasps

magnet + harddrive = useless

drahardja

Sep 30, 2007
The main problems with microdrives are shock sensitivity and spin-up time. Having a large amount of cache to prevent frequent access to the physical medium is often necessary to maintain UI responsiveness, which adds cost to the product.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Forgetting about the fact that for all intents and purposes the iPhone already has SS storage, WTF did the OP get the notion that SS drives give 3 times the amount of space?

<shakes head in disbelief> ;)

--
Mike

truehybridx

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007
yes because whats the highest SS storage goes up to currently? 16GB or is it more
(not to meantion whtever the government is hiding from us lol)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes because whats the highest SS storage goes up to currently? 16GB or is it more
(not to meantion whtever the government is hiding from us lol)
There's a 32 GB drive out now (maybe even 64 GB--if not it should be out soon).

But what the OP claimed, was that "you can put three times as much info into the same amount of space compared to a regular hard drive. A 10G iPhone could hold 30G of songs movies and other crap."

That is of course absurd. Or stinky bait.

--
Mike