- Log in to your gmail account.
- Click settings in the upper right corner
- Click Filters
- Click New Filter
- Type me in the From Field
- Click next step
- Check the first box 'Skip the Inbox (Archive it)'
- Check 'Also apply filter to XXXX
- Click Create Filter
Hard to tell when you click the Gmail button on the iPhone to setup the account but it is actually setting it up as a POP3 account not HTTP like in your browser.
With POP enabled on your Gmail account you will always get the CC to inbox. This is a feature according to Gmail.
From the Gmail help:
When you (me:the iPhone) enable POP, all messages are downloaded to your client, except for Spam, Trash, and Chats. If you don't want messages that you send from the web interface downloaded to your mail client's inbox, we suggest creating a filter within your client (me: build this filter as per above steps).
This is working for me and few others.