Some Apps not showing up

gioevo11

Nov 26, 2008
Hello,
I recently upgraded from jailbroken 2.1 to 2.2 via iTunes. The 2.2 firmware is great, but there are some apps that do not show up! Apps include: camera, and most of the games that I put on there from iTunes, and some apps that were in categories folders that I used in 2.1.
My 2.1 jailbroken firmware:
-had winterboard, and I was using a theme
-I was using categories; in these categories folders, I had games and applications that I do not see in the new 2.2 firmware! It seems as if the categories messed up the applications, and the way I view them. I can sync all the apps from iTunes, but they still don't show up. I can download apps from the appstore, and these apps show up.
I have restored to 2.2, and still the apps that I try and sync that were previously in categories folders do not show up. They show that they are synced in iTunes, but are not on the springboard.
I have searched and searched, and found nothing on this.
Was it something to do with the way I upgraded the firmware? Was I supposed to uninstall winterboard or categories?
I also tried to jailbreak with quickpwn 2.2, the iPhone finishes the process, but at the end, quickpwn doesn't get run on the iPhone, and I end up with a regular, not-jailbroken iPhone. Does this have something to do with the way I upgraded to 2.2? Please help - Thanks.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
You MUST jailbreak it using PwnageTool 2.2. You should have done that even before installing the 2.2 firmware on your iPhone. The process should have been like the following:

1) Open iTunes 8, it will tell you that there's a new firmware update for the iPhone available, choose "Download Only",

2) Download PwnageTool 2.2, choose your phone model (iPhone 3G), press next, answer their questions and follow the steps, then it will ask you to choose an ipsw file, choose the one that has ( 2.2 ) as part of its name (I think only one ipsw file will appear for you if you don't have more firmware bundles on your computer), then it will take some time to customize the 2.2 ipsw file then it will be placed on your Desktop,

3) Open iTunes 8, it will ask you to Restore, hold the Apple key + alt key and click on Restore, then it will tell you to find the path of your ipsw file, go to Desktop and choose the customized ipsw file, and lastly,

4) Wait for it to be completely restored, then either start fresh (clean iPhone with no applications, photos, contacts, etc.) installed or restore from a backup. Starting fresh is preferred. Then you will find your iPhone with all its applications installed and also Cydia/Installer.app will be there.

EDIT - Those processes I am talking about are done on Macintosh OSX, but I guess it's no different to Windows.

gioevo11

Nov 26, 2008
I was under the impression it was ok to jailbreak with the quickpwn 2.2 if I didn't need the iPhone to be unlocked. I tried the pwnage tool 2.2 and when i try and restore with the custom firmware, it tells me error 1600 or something like that. I will try it again, thanks.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
if you can get your phone jailbroken just download categories again and then you can select the add option and they will be on the list to add. I had to use an old windows to jailbreak 2.2 because none of the tools work on the new mac's. this same thing happened to me.

gioevo11

Nov 26, 2008
i literally just tried to use pwnage tool to make the custom firmware. went to iTunes, and it said error 1600, could not restore. That is why i was forced to restore with the iTunes 2.2 ipsw. Then, the next step that was available was to jailbreak with quickpwn. The problem I am having is with the freshly 'clean' ipsw from iTunes that i can't see the apps (2.2 firmware).
I'm restoring with the iTunes firmware now.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
set up as new phone (2.2)
use quickpwn to jailbreak (windows)
if apps still will not show up reinstall categories and add them to the file list.

gioevo11

Nov 26, 2008
ok, just set up as new phone...which was key. apps are syncing fine now. i will try jailbreaking another time as tonight has been an eventful one...im so happy to have camera back! thanks for the tips.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Glad you have it working again. Don't mess it up with too many unknown applications from Cydia and Installer >_< :D.

cpucpu657

Jan 18, 2009
categories app in a category

I am having the same problem only perhaps a bit worse. Cydia, installer and Categories were all placed IN a category, so when I jailbreak using quickpwn (i'm on windows) those 3 apps don't show up on the screen. So i cant change the category listing and i cant reinstall categories. I've even tried restoring my iPhone and using quickpwn again but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas to help me out?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
restore and set up as a new device. That should fix your problem.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I'm not a JB expert because i've never done it before but may I suggest to re-do the whole process again if it is possible?

cpucpu657

Jan 18, 2009
problem solved

Thanks for the quick response (within an hour)
Sorry i didn't respond sooner i have been taking your advice.
I restored it as a new iPhone, took a little while to get all my things back to normal but it worked!
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for the quick response (within an hour)
Sorry i didn't respond sooner i have been taking your advice.
I restored it as a new iPhone, took a little while to get all my things back to normal but it worked!
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Did you thank me? If so could you please click the thanks button :) If not, don't worry about it.

cpucpu657

Jan 18, 2009
Sorry for the misunderstanding, i meant @kenneth, it has taken me a while to do the full restore thats why i didn't post back sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
CPU I'm glad you got it fixed.

iPhone monster I don't think I would be asking people to push the thanks button. If they want to they will. LOL.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you're on Leopard 10.5.6 you need to hook your phone up to your computer via powered usb hub. Otherwise, you can't jailbreak.

Check out www.modmyi.com for jailbreaking tips and step by step.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Did you thank me? If so could you please click the thanks button :) If not, don't worry about it.
A little "thanking" knowledge.

1. Users must have 25 posts or more before they can thank.
2. There is a 5 thank limit per 24 hour period
3. No one likes a thanking begger. :)

cpucpu657

Jan 18, 2009
A little "thanking" knowledge.

1. Users must have 25 posts or more before they can thank.
2. There is a 5 thank limit per 24 hour period
3. No one likes a thanking begger. :)
Nice to know, i was desperately looking for the thank button.
lol