Some apps updated for iOS 7 won't sync to iOS 6.x

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by up10ad, Sep 23, 2013.

1. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Seems that some apps won't update unless you move to iOS 7:

Capture.PNG

I'd love to find out exactly why. Perhaps they make use of the new APIs available in iOS 7 and it won't work in iOS 6. That would be a true failure on Apple's part for not providing backwards compatibility. Or, just maybe its just another way for Apple to pressure us to stay current.

2. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I had this happen for two apps. I use my iMac and iTunes for updates and backups, so the versions in iTunes were updated. However, in my case, the older versions were retained on the phone until I updated the phone to iOS 7. At that time, the newer versions were synced onto the phone.

-rb

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Isn't it up to developers to keep their apps compatible with legacy iOS versions?

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Ideally, yes. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make it easy to keep compatibility with older versions. Including 64 bit support currently precludes the ability to support iOS 6. Plus, they very quickly shut the door on app submissions for older OSes and do not allow new updates to support them.

This new App Store feature whereby it offers to download the last compatible version is sort of a halfway measure somewhere between the unrelenting dismissal of the old OSes they have traditionally done, and what they'd ideally do, which is allow new submissions that support them.