some insight as to how activations will work!

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
From AppleInsider...

Moreover, the company has allegedly developed a brand new method of subscribing new customers to AT&T's phone service to ensure that the experience is far quicker than the often drawn-out process at most cellphone stores. The technique may involve bringing buyers to the Internet during the sign-up phase, the tip said.
Interesting! Anyone care to guess how this will work?

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
From AppleInsider...

Interesting! Anyone care to guess how this will work?
Maybe they will start by having us type in our personal and billing information on a computer, help us choose a calling plan, then verify that the info was submitted, and finally check us out and hand us the iPhone.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Ahh yes, that would be excellent.
Plug the phone in, iTunes starts up, create and iPhone(or Att user account), select a voice and data plan, read all 10 pages of fine print, pick payment method, signal is sent from Att to your phone to activate it. Then your on your way.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Plug the phone in, iTunes starts up, create and iPhone(or Att user account), select a voice and data plan, read all 10 pages of fine print, pick payment method, signal is sent from Att to your phone to activate it. Then your on your way.
I like how you used the word "read". hahahahahahha

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
well attingular told us things had changed at AT&T concerning the way existing customers qualified for upgrade promotions. Maybe this is just more of the sweeping changes going on at the company now.

Jun 5, 2007
then how would upgrades work o_0

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
You mean for current Cingular/Att customers? I think that you don't have to be eligible for a upgrade to buy this. I think then it would just be matter of putting your sim card in the iPhone.

That is if Att dosent make existing Cingular customers switch over to Att to use this thing to use their SIM card. If that was the case Then you would have to go through the same process of a new customer I would figure but you get to keep your number.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You mean for current Cingular/Att customers? I think that you don't have to be eligible for a upgrade to buy this. I think then it would just be matter of putting your sim card in the iPhone.

That is if Att dosent make existing Cingular customers switch over to Att to use this thing to use their SIM card. If that was the case Then you would have to go through the same process of a new customer I would figure but you get to keep your number.
I believe he was asking how an upgrade would work if you did it through iTunes like this thread is discussing activations through iTunes. They're just speculating what it would be like if you did everything during the purchase process through the iTunes software.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
With the new system, in general,

If you're out of contract and have average revenue, the upgrade fee is waived.
If you're above average revenue and out of contract, you get waived fee plus an additional $50 off the handset.
If you're a high revenue user, you get waived fee, plus $100 off the price of a handset.

Again, that's in general and doesn't take into account excessive off-network usage, or delinquent payment history. I have no idea if the same system will be used for the iPhone. Odds are 50/50 on the addition discount, while the upgrade waiver will almost certainly be included.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
That is if Att dosent make existing Cingular customers switch over to Att to use this thing to use their SIM card
There is no switchover, no need to pick new plans. The new AT&T is just Cingular re-branded. Everyone working here got new businesss cards and we all can now order fancy AT&T polo shirts instead of the Cingular splats. There has been no change for customers.

Per activations, there will be 3 ways depending on where you buy it. If you buy in the AT&T store, it will be almost standard operating procedure. If you buy in an Apple store, they will activate it, similar to a corp. store. If you buy it online, you'll activate it either over the phone or in a store.

NWAHalo

Jun 6, 2007
With the new system, in general,

If you're out of contract and have average revenue, the upgrade fee is waived.
If you're above average revenue and out of contract, you get waived fee plus an additional $50 off the handset.
If you're a high revenue user, you get waived fee, plus $100 off the price of a handset.

Again, that's in general and doesn't take into account excessive off-network usage, or delinquent payment history. I have no idea if the same system will be used for the iPhone. Odds are 50/50 on the addition discount, while the upgrade waiver will almost certainly be included.
Okay, a couple of things here:

This discount information should be added to the "definitive thread," as that thread makes mention of discount but doesn't spell it out.

Also, can you define "above average revenue" and "high revenue user" in terms of dollars?

Thanks for the info!

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
well attingular told us things had changed at AT&T concerning the way existing customers qualified for upgrade promotions. Maybe this is just more of the sweeping changes going on at the company now.
ATTingular! lol! I used to date a girl who loved it when I ATTingulared her!:p

Seriously though...I thought I heard mention of AT&T account management being done through iTunes in an earlier thread. It would be a nice feature to have your AT&T account intergrated with your iTunes, as opposed to having to sign in through the AT&T website. I found the AT&T and the Cingular customer service websites next to impossible to navigate.

Has anyone else that uses the SBC Yahoo! DSL noticed that there are absolutely no customer service numbers anywhere on the website. They want all of their customer support to be done online via e mail, or through the self diagnostic tools. Finally after you have spent DAYS exhausting that option, you get some operator from a country 5,000 miles away to try and talk you through the problem. I have had similar expriences with the wireless provider support from Cingular.

One thing that has always impressed me about Apple Care and Apple's tech support is that it is based in the U.S.A. and the folks on the other end of the line seem to really care about backing up the product and making the customer experience a happy one. Also, if all else fails, I could always go to an Apple store and speak with someone at the Genius Bar. I am a little scared that I am getting an amazing piece of hardware with mediocre support on the wireless provider side. It would also frustrate me to go into an AT&T store and be informed that my problem is an Apple issue and they can't help me, or vice versa, going into an Apple store and being told that I need to go to an AT&T store. I really hope that Apple upholds its high standards of customer service and support and holds AT&T to the fire on their side. Who knows, maybe Apple can make AT&T "raise the bar." Hopefully, because I can without a doubt say that I have never had a bad customer service experience with Apple, and I have never had a pleasant or positive customer service experience with AT&T or Cingular.

Sorry about the rant...I saw a soapbox and jumped on!

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Okay, a couple of things here:

This discount information should be added to the "definitive thread," as that thread makes mention of discount but doesn't spell it out.

Also, can you define "above average revenue" and "high revenue user" in terms of dollars?

Thanks for the info!
I'm still not 100% on how customers under contract will be handled. If I find out the extra discount is available for the iPhone I will edit the first post in the thread to reflect that. However, Apple doesn't want a discount, so there is none as of now.