Some iPhone 7 units have a slower modem than others

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Rafagon, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I’ve been encountering articles about this “issue" rather often lately. I don’t have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus (and at this point have no solid plans to get either), but here’s some information you should read if you haven’t yet purchased your iPhone 7, if routinely achieving only the fastest possible LTE transfer speeds is important to you. As is common these days, the situation has already been given the -gate suffix by some news outlets, such as this one.

Apparently, Apple stuck a slower modem in some iPhone 7 models than in others. How do you know which one you got? TheNextWeb summarizes it in these two paragraphs from their article (you can find a link to their article below).
    I won’t try to paraphrase what’s going on in my own words, but I’ll share links to some relevant articles below, in order of least to greatest level of technicality. In other words, I listed the more layperson-oriented articles first.

Personally, I like MacRumors' articles because they are easy-to-understand and not overly technical. They do a decent job of summarizing information in a way that the layperson can understand but at the same time aren’t too "dumbed-down."

Go ahead. Take your pick. Read any or all of the articles.

TheNextWeb: "Apple made two versions of the iPhone 7 — and one of them sucks” (clickbait title, I know)
    CNN Money: “There are two versions of the iPhone 7 -- and one is way slower” (way misleading title: the “way slower” applies only to modem transfer speeds, and both speeds are probably quite satisfactory for the vast majority of users)
    MacRumors: “iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm LTE Modem Outperforms Intel LTE Modem by Significant Margin” (now this is what I call a concise and accurate title)
    Cellular Insights: “iPhone 7 Plus: A Tale of Two Personalities” (okay, cute Dickens reference)

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If your iPhone model number is A1660 or A1661, you have the faster Qualcomm modem. If your model number is A1778 or A1784, you have the slower Intel modem.

Settings/General/About/Legal/Regulatory
    Will show your model

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You mean the better-battery-life Intel modem? :D