Some iPhone questions!

timcs

Dec 11, 2007
First, apologies if any of this has been asked before. I am also sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum! I did use the search function but could not find the answers.

I am in the UK and would like to buy a US iPhone. I have seen a few add's on ebay but am going to get a friend-of-a-friend in the US to send one to me. They will buy it from Apple in the US ship it to me and I will try and unlock it.

1. If I buy directly from Apple in the US will the phone be sent with f.w 1.1.2?
  2. Can you unlock phones with f.w 1.1.2?
  3. If I try and update an unlocked phone with a newer f.w release what will happen?
  4. I heard the the iPhone has an open boot prom, so when you update f.w on a hacked phone they just set “auto-boot” to “false” to stop it working, assuming this happens can I just set it to “true” to get the phone working again?
  5. Are there any other facts to take into account when unlocking an iPhone?
  6. Why on earth didn't Apple sell the phone unlocked in their stores? Surely they would have made more money that way?

Thanks in advance.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
You won't get a phone new now that can be unlocked.

You can buy one from France that is unlocked - this may be your best bet. The cost will be £600 or there abouts. (Still think Apple would make more money that way?) And you will need a contract that will come to £35 per month if you use the iPhone as it's designed.

Read the posts on this forum - there are MANY people out there with lame old iPhones they want to update but can't - or don't know how to, because they're unlocked and unstable as a result.

My advice is pay the price in the UK and go with O2 (the contract is not that bad VFM) - or get one from france. You'll have a phone you can update and have a warranty to boot.

And you can update when Apple releases new toys!

First, apologies if any of this has been asked before. I am also sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum! I did use the search function but could not find the answers.

I am in the UK and would like to buy a US iPhone. I have seen a few add's on ebay but am going to get a friend-of-a-friend in the US to send one to me. They will buy it from Apple in the US ship it to me and I will try and unlock it.

1. If I buy directly from Apple in the US will the phone be sent with f.w 1.1.2?
  2. Can you unlock phones with f.w 1.1.2?
  3. If I try and update an unlocked phone with a newer f.w release what will happen?
  4. I heard the the iPhone has an open boot prom, so when you update f.w on a hacked phone they just set “auto-boot” to “false” to stop it working, assuming this happens can I just set it to “true” to get the phone working again?
  5. Are there any other facts to take into account when unlocking an iPhone?
  6. Why on earth didn't Apple sell the phone unlocked in their stores? Surely they would have made more money that way?

Thanks in advance.

timcs

Dec 11, 2007
Thanks for your reply, how about turbo sim and stealth sim? Do you know if they actually work?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Turbo Sim works apparently. If you find a way to get your hands on any that is.
Don't know about Stealth Sim.

I'd still say on balance it's worth switching to O2 - their coverage is as good as any, and the always-on data unlimited for £35 is value.

The Cloud WiFi access is useful too.

You can jailbreak and modify a 1.1.2 if you like to play with these things. I have a 1.1.2 running on a PAYG O2 sim and it's fine.