Some iPhone Questions

amb9800

Feb 14, 2008
Hey guys- new here. I've been using Windows Mobile for about 4 years now, and my current phone (i-mate PDA2k) is kind of dying. The Sony Ericsson XPERIA and others look cool, but I think I'll wait on those till WinMo 7 launches in 2009.

Till then, I think I might get an iPhone. Have some questions though:

1) Outlook Syncing -- so contacts should work fine, but I've heard over some months that there were issues with syncing calendar items, particularly recurring appointments. What's the current status on this, for syncing in both directions (e.g. adding events to iPhone and syncing back to Outlook)? (I'd be using Vista + Outlook 2007 btw)

2) Appointment reminders -- how does the iPhone handle calendar reminders? On WinMo, following the reminder time I set (typically 15 min), I get a popup with the item(s) to snooze or dismiss. Also, the today screen shows everything I have coming up, and any active tasks on the to-do list. What's the iPhone equivalent for this?

3) Contact fields -- does the iPhone sync all of Outlook's data fields for contacts, including the notes page? (where I typically store how I know the person and other important info)

4) Bluetooth -- has anyone come out with a solution to get A2DP for stereo headphones (without a hardware attachment), or is it still in the wait-for-months-until-apple-does-something category?

5) Video -- in terms of 3rd party native apps currently available for jailbroken iPhones, is there anything to handle other video formats yet, like DivX/Xvid and WMV?

6) Handwritten Notes -- the stock iPhone Notes app seems kind of useless. The WinMo notes app lets you do handwritten, typed, and voice notes all in one. I basically just need handwritten notes to quickly scribble stuff down. Is there an iPhone app for this yet?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
1) as i hear, outlook syncing works fine with contacts and appointments or whatever.

2) when you have an appointment, or an event, or reminder, the iPhone can be set to remind you at any time before the event, and can have multiple reminders. the iPhone goes BEEP BEEP at the reminder, however, there is no Today screen equivalent.

3) i am not so sure about this, but i think it does, it has these fields...

4) A2DP is not available, nor would it be available with a software update. sorry.

5) no, the iPhone supports only MP4, and h.264.

6) there is a program called sketches with jailbroken phones, but since you are using your fingers, it will be extremely hard to write legible notes.

use MobileNotes.app (the regular Notes app)

hope this helps.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
while I incourage everyone to get an iPhone because they are simply AMAZING py. U look like some one who is unsuitable b/c the iPhone for most ppl is a gadget toy and for u I don't see a good match u seem like u would be more comfortable with a windows mobile. U strike me as a businesss type person and better matched for a WM. But still.. Get the iPhone.. =)

amb9800

Feb 14, 2008
2) when you have an appointment, or an event, or reminder, the iPhone can be set to remind you at any time before the event, and can have multiple reminders. the iPhone goes BEEP BEEP at the reminder, however, there is no Today screen equivalent.
Does it also tell you what it's reminding you of when it beeps/vibrates, or do you have to manually open the calendar and check?

4) A2DP is not available, nor would it be available with a software update. sorry.
I assume Apple could easily do a driver update (especially given that desktop OS X now has A2DP support with Leopard) -- when I got my current WinMo phone (a bit over 2 yrs ago), A2DP didn't even exist, but a Broadcomm driver update added full support a bit later.

6) there is a program called sketches with jailbroken phones, but since you are using your fingers, it will be extremely hard to write legible notes.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense- on WM phones, I usually use my fingertips/nails to get stylus-like precision for quick notes, but that wouldn't work on the iPhone's capacitive screen...

Anyway, do the notes sync with Outlook?

amb9800

Feb 14, 2008
while I incourage everyone to get an iPhone because they are simply AMAZING py. U look like some one who is unsuitable b/c the iPhone for most ppl is a gadget toy and for u I don't see a good match u seem like u would be more comfortable with a windows mobile. U strike me as a businesss type person and better matched for a WM. But still.. Get the iPhone.. =)
Well, I'm considering an iPhone because the form factor's nice, the UI is smooth, and I could probably live without a hardware keyboard if I had to. And with the SDK launch, there'll probably be a decent array of 3rd party apps soon too (though it'll prob never catch up to the thousands of apps currently on WM).

I realize most people don't actually use their iPhones as anything but cool-looking toys, but then again, most WM users probably don't install 3rd party apps either, in which case you just have a clunky toy ;).

I know I'd be sacrificing a lot of functionality to go for an iPhone, but I just want to make sure the basic PIM stuff (contacts, calendar, reminders, syncing, etc.) is not a problem before I do...

amb9800

Feb 14, 2008
Also, in the iPhone Safari browser, if you have a page with multiple links that you want to open without having to go back and forth, how do you do that?

Is there an "open in new tab" option (as in Opera Mobile)? Otherwise, I'd copy the URL and paste it in a new tab, but the iPhone doesn't have copy-and-paste, right?