some lagging issues

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
so im expereiencing some lagging with my phone. i don't know why seeing how its a brand new phone. is anybody experiencing the same issue or can someone help me on how to fix it?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Where are you seeing the lag? In a particular app or in general? Also, is it after a period of use or after you wake the phone? Really need more details....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A stock 3GS shouldn't have any lag. Has it been a while since you rebooted it? I recommend rebooting once every day, it helps tremendously in preventing problems like these.

Sep 19, 2009
Really?

A stock 3GS shouldn't have any lag. Has it been a while since you rebooted it? I recommend rebooting once every day, it helps tremendously in preventing problems like these.
Booting once a day seems excessive. I just bought a 3GS, I hope i don't have to reboot it everyday to see good performance.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Booting once a day seems excessive. I just bought a 3GS, I hope i don't have to reboot it everyday to see good performance.
When we say "reboot" - that literally just means switching on and off really. I never switch my phone off and on, i just hold the home and power buttons for about 30 seconds and the iPhone reboots. I think that is what Europa suggests, and I would say 2-3 times a week is adequate.

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
Well when I try to go on aim or any app with Internet it tends to just sit there, I would hav to close the app and reopen it in order for it to actually load. Sometimes I get force closes to. And I have 13.86GB so I don't see why a memory problem would be the issue

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Well when I try to go on aim or any app with Internet it tends to just sit there, I would hav to close the app and reopen it in order for it to actually load. Sometimes I get force closes to. And I have 13.86GB so I don't see why a memory problem would be the issue
The amount of GB you have available wouldn't cause lag... lag would occur when you have low amount of RAM or a slow processor.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
mayniak, turn it off and turn it back on and then let us know if you notice a difference in performance. What you are referring to is storage space (Flash memory...aka hard drive space on a computer). Lag is often caused by low system memory (RAM). There used to be apps that allowed freeing memory, but Apple hobbled them. So now, we have to do it the the old fashioned way, rebooting.

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
eupora i did what you said and im noticing a difference. hopefully it doesn't happen again. thanks for the help

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
eupora i did what you said and im noticing a difference. hopefully it doesn't happen again. thanks for the help
Cool. Your phone isn't jailbroken, right?
You can't respring if it isn't, so you have to reboot. Just try to reboot it at least every few days and it should run better for you.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I want V back as well, not only does he symbolizes human freedom and individuality, he now will symbolize freedom of 3GS, returning when the official JB is released!

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
no my iPhone isn't jailbroken, don't plan on doing it either. when theres something i really want then i might do it but until then im ok