Some obvious and not-so-obvious tips and tricks to improve battery life!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
Hey all,

I managed to literally almost triple my battery life by following these little "tricks" - I'm very, very satisfied with the amount of time I go in between charges... hopefully, they'll help you out as well.

Some obvious tips...
1.) Set auto-lock to no longer than 1 or 2 minutes (most phones turn off their screen in seconds, a minute or two should be plenty)
2.) Turn bluetooth / wireless OFF when not in use
3.) Put the display to sleep when playing music and use the side rockers to control volume during playback
4.) Set e-mail check intervals to manual or once every hour
5.) LIMIT Safari usage (kills battery)

... and some not-so-obvious:
1.) If you work in an office or spend considerable time in an area that has little to no signal, PUT YOUR PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE (I just listen to music and watch videos at work). Works wonders. Your phone will no longer try to boost its antenna strength in a mostly losing effort to get signal or try to run automated downloads/checks. This will also disable your wifi/bluetooth
2.) DISABLE Auto-Brightness feature and set it to 35-45% brightness instead. Unless you spend all your time in the dark the light sensor does more harm than good. Try it and see if it works for you.
3.) Use NOISE-ISOLATING in-ear earbuds/headphones. Aside from the additional comfort and audio quality, in-ear, noise-isolating headphones allow you to listen to music, calls and videos at a *significantly* lower volume.

Feel free to add some of your own or add onto my list

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Cool, thanks for taking the time to write this up, didn't know about the air plane mode setting conserving battery life. By the way what does airplane mode do?

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
Cool, thanks for taking the time to write this up, didn't know about the air plane mode setting conserving battery life. By the way what does airplane mode do?
No problem - I'm not sure if these will work for everyone but they do for me under my circumstances.

Airplane mode disables your phone antenna, wifi and bluetooth.
Basically, you're left with the iPod touch :laugh2:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i heard and i feel that this works for me. in terms of safari...

when in safari instead of just pressing the home button hold it down till the page closed this shuts it down and not in standby....works for me

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Not sure what you mean.
when LEAVING safari hold the home button?

i heard and i feel that this works for me. in terms of safari...

when in safari instead of just pressing the home button hold it down till the page closed this shuts it down and not in standby....works for me

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i loved the safari tip!

this isn't really a tip but just a good idea: buy an extra charger for your car! you'll see how much it can do depending on how much time your spend in yuor car. and especially if you use your iPhone for the ipod in the car via direct imput or iTrip or whatever.

my friend has the direct imput cables and it's SO much better soud quality and it also CHARGES! i'm jealous .. .. ..

just a thought :)

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Not sure what you mean.
when LEAVING safari hold the home button?
I'm not sure about this tip either. Just holding the home button still takes you back home; how do you know that safari is no longer in standby? When I opened safari back up, it went right back to where I was at prior to thinking it was closed.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Sleeping applications don't add any noticeable processor load. It's lighting things up, transmitting radio signals, and making loud noises that use power.