some questions about AT&T with the iPhone 3G

Oct 2, 2008
ok, im 17 and i work full time....im planning on getting the iPhone 3g, the 8gb version and having a 2year contract. it will be a single line plan, 900 minutes, 1500 txt....and the required data plan.....ill be paying for this myself...etc....but my question is, if my mother and i go into the AT&T store, sign up for a single line plan, 2yr contract, etc....wil it be possible for me to pay the bill directly without having my mother send in money, etc....? and in january 09, ill be 18, at that point will it be possible for me to become the account holder and have her removed from the plan? my mom is fine with this, but i want to know if it will be possible for those things to happen before i sign up for a plan and sign a contract, etc....

also, im currently under contract with uscellular....i plan on paying the 175 ETF as the contract won't be up until dec. 09, etc....my question is, if i pay the etf, can i have my number ported from uscellular to AT&T?

thanks for any answers!

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
You should be able to port the number; I'd call AT&T about the other questions.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
You should be able to port the number no problem. As far as turning the account over to you, your mother and you will have to do what is called an 'assumption of liability" this basically relieves your mother of the account and gives it to you. keep in mind two things may happen during this process:

1- ATT may make you renew a 2 year contract
2- Because you are 18 and I assume you don't have much of a credit history, they may ask for your Mom's credit card as a gaurantee of payment.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Call your current cell company a few days before you plan on porting the number over. I just stuck my wife on my plan and it wound up being such a hassle to get the number transferred over we just opted to get a new one, going from two different companies can be a pain sometimes. Just give both companies a call and make sure you do whatever it is they need done ahead of time.