Some questions from a future newbie

jbw52

Jun 16, 2009
Soon I will be replacing my BB 8310 Curve with an iPhone and I just have some questions about certain features and whether the iPhone has them or not.

First, when receiving new email does the iPhone give you a notification on the hone screen or unlock screen or both?

Second, if there is a notification, can I have different notification sounds for different email accounts and can I use my own sounds for these notifications?

If there is a missed call and or voice mail will I get a notification for that on the home screen and/or unlock screen?

That is it for now, thanks for putting up with me and these really noob questions.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Soon I will be replacing my BB 8310 Curve with an iPhone and I just have some questions about certain features and whether the iPhone has them or not.

First, when receiving new email does the iPhone give you a notification on the hone screen or unlock screen or both?

Second, if there is a notification, can I have different notification sounds for different email accounts and can I use my own sounds for these notifications?

If there is a missed call and or voice mail will I get a notification for that on the home screen and/or unlock screen?

That is it for now, thanks for putting up with me and these really noob questions.
1) The iPhone notifies you by playing a chime. Quietly... No notifications on home screen when locked, a red tag with a number in (1 for 1 new email etc) when unlocked.

2) No

3) Missed calls and voicemails and texts have a notification on the home screen the same as the email. Also, when the screen is locked, the iPhone displayes.... "Missed call...Mum" for example. Or "New Voicemail"

Hope this helps. There is usually a jailbreaking option for most things you need, check out the mod section!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wouldn't e-mail sound notifications only be worth it if your e-mail supports push or your iPhone constantly fetches them?

Right now, push is only supported by Microsoft Exchange, Mobile Me and Yahoo! mail.

I'm hoping Gmail will eventually support push since it's already an option with Google Sync - I can turn on push but it doesn't actually push at this time.